Basic Wireless Network Question

ragingg

Beta member
I'm signing up for DSL with Verizon and they said they'd give me a free wireless/dsl modem combo... http://www22.verizon.com/ForHomeDSL/channels/dsl/commitment/popup_modem_router.asp.

It seems alright... On the G network, but I was wondering if I could use any brand of card with it... For example, could I buy a linksys laptop card and still be compatible with the router? Do you guys suggest I buy a different one? If I do, is there a way to disable the wireless one currently on the modem?

any wireless card (linksys, netgear ... etc) will be fine as long as they are 802.11g compliant.

Im not sure what you mean by "disable the wireless one currently on the modem", but the modem is also a router that has wireless capabilities. Meaning it will issue dhcp address (NAT - private addresses in the 192.168.x.x range) so that wireless enabled pc's can connect to the internet through your modem/router. If you do not wish to have wireless capabilities until you get a wireless card for your pc, you can disable the wireless ability of the modem/router and still have it only work through hardwire (ethernet).

Coss is right. Any wireless card will work as long as it is compatible with the 802.11g standard, so basically either an 802.11b or g will work. I recommend getting the g so that you can take advantage of the speed difference between b and g. If you get an 802.11b it will simply run at the b's speed capabilities, which is a good bit slower than g's.

make sure to disable the wireless function until you get a wireless card or you leave youself open.

Back
Top Bottom