Random Shutdown

Hey lurkswithin- you forgot ccleaner and regseeker. Both free on a google search. I think they are better than regscrub but I use them all.

Just scanned using that RegScrubXP and it found 84 problems. I selected them all and chose to fix them. Seemed to repair every one of them without any troubles, so I guess we'll see how that works. More than likely i'll leave my computer on overnight and check in the morning to see if i've got my lovely little blue screen. I really hope for the computers sake that it chooses to cooperate because i'm only 25 feet away from a sledgehammer that looks better and better every second...

per said:
Hey lurkswithin- you forgot ccleaner and regseeker. Both free on a google search. I think they are better than regscrub but I use them all.
Actually I purposely left out Ccleaner because I didn't want him using it till after regscrubxp. AS I use both of them myself and believe they work well hand in hand. I just don't like to give out that type of program as it is sometimes easily misused. As to the other (regseeker) I personally never used it.. and I don't recommend programs to people that I have never used. It may be better than regscrub...I don't know...If it ain't broke don't fix it...:) syndrome. I have been happy with it so never went looking for anything else.
But, my friend, since you are the one that suggested it and I trust your judgement, I will most definately give it a try.
In fact in just a few minutes I am going to get off and go fix me a good ole country breakfast of bacon( fried crisp), a few eggs( over easy), sausage (cooked to perfection), and some great big ole biscuits (so fluffy they melt in your mouth) and a sweet milk gravy (to tie it all together.):D
And while I am down feeding this starved face, I will give it a try.
ciao,

my computer was doing that do but i reinstalled windows and it fixed itselft..amazing how that happens.

Well, I did go ahead and let this run overnight to see if I could get this thing to shut down on me. It decided to stay running though, which I half expected it would do seeing how you can never simulate a problem when you need to. I guess whenever it does decide to shutdown though, i'll get all the info and be sure to post back.

Ok guys, shutdown today and I wrote down the Technical Information. It is as follows:

*** STOP: 0x0000008E (0xC000001D, 0x804FB6DD, 0xFJD0AC98, 0x00000000)

I googled a couple of these 'strings' and found that one of them indicated a RAM issue. However, I tested my memory before, and I tested again today, and both sticks checked out fine with NO problems whatsoever. So, my question again is: Could the power supply be at fault for this?? Maybe faulting and not giving enough juice to needed areas, hence the report saying my RAM is bad when it is actually fine?

I don't think that the PSU has anything to do with it.
0x0000008E (0xC000001D, 0x804FB6DD, 0xFJD0AC98, 0x00000000) is the code that you reported

0x0000008E: means 0x0000008E: means KERNEL_MODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED
0xC000001D: means The application failed to initialize properly or ILLEGAL_INSTRUCTION
0x804FB6DD: there is nothing on this and would indicate that this is a manufacturers individual code
0xFJD0AC98: again nothing available
0x00000000This reference is just another ID locator and since is last of string would also refer to a manufacture code

enclosed within the ( ) shows the specific address of the problem
Now the first code enclosed within the ( ) again shows the fault as reported by the manufacturer
at the following address which of course is not known because the manufacturer proprietary info.

Microsoft says this about it:
If the specific address of the exception is unknown, the following should be considered:
Hardware incompatibility.
First, make sure that any new hardware installed is listed on the Microsoft
Windows Hardware Compatibility List (HCL).
Faulty device driver or system service.
In addition, a faulty device driver or system service might be
responsible for this error. Hardware issues, such as BIOS incompatibilities,
memory conflicts, and IRQ conflicts can also generate this error.

all of this reflects back to a possible out of date bios which I went over earlier with you.
or some conflicts with out of date drivers within the memory which would mean a faulty graphics card driver(uninstall/reinstall) or even defective ram (again either RAM or Graphics Card)
Now one other issue that maybe the cause of this is you are OC'd and it is becoming unstable leading to the memory issue to becaused with unsynced clock timing( the fix for that is to reduce the overclocking speed to a more stable timeing.
And it is possible that your RAM is faulty. Suggestion here is to remove 1 stick and use only one stick to see if it fails then swap and see if that one fails if either one fails you will know the culprit. Or substitute the existing ram with new ram and just see if it fixes the issue.

That is all the info that can be derived from the code that you gave. I don't think it is a power supply issue.

I guess where i'll go from here is to try removing 1 stick of RAM and see if the problem occurs again. I also had planned on buying a new graphics card ( have been looking around here this past week) since the one i've got is an old Riva TNT2 32mb card. It has no use now, and i'd like to get rid of it, but i'm going to keep hold of my money for now until I figure out what the problem is because what good is a new video card if the computer doesnt work?

See if one of your friends will allow you to borrow one of their old cards. This is why I have boxes of replaced parts under my desk and on top and all. Just so as to have some compatable, swapable hardware to try out.

Back
Top Bottom