Floppy Drive Not Working

well the problem is i dont think its recognizing the drive at all. i cant do device manager with my old drive either because it wasn't working....any more suggestions?

No ... I meant the floppy disk that you're putting into the floppy drive. It needs to be formatted to compatibility with Windows 95. Windows 95 formatting is different than 2000/XP. I dont know how you're supposed to do it with 95, but in XP you right click on the a: drive and choose format. You have a floppy disk in the drive and it will re-format that floppy disk.

oh, ya. no i am pretty sure the floppy is formatted and compatible but i am still getting nothing

did you actually do the formatting within that drive on that p.c. with that o.s. yourself, or are you just assuming? If you did not do the formatting of the disk, that is what I would do now. I think you already solved the led light being constantly on by flipping the cabling around.

i fixed the light being on constantly but now i cant get it on at all and when i have a disk in there on that os i cant format it or any other disk i have tried so i dunno wat to do

i stand corrected. in the device manager, it does say the floppy drive is working properly. i will now try to format the disk...

this is a second computer just for messing around on. plus i am going to upgrade if i can just get this frkin drive to work....when i format one disk it says...like error with system files or somehitng so i used a different disk and it said there was nothing in the drive....WTF IS GOING ON???

Check the socket on the back of the drive for a bent pin. And the same thing on the mobo. I still think you got the wires crossed. On older systems like that one there were no guide notches on the cable plugs and was easy to turn the plugs around or flop them over.
See if you can tell on the drive on the circuit side where the #1 pin is located and then match it with the red marked side of the cable and with the #1 pin on the mobo.
The last issue would be to replace the drive again with a known working drive and see if it works.

Back
Top Bottom