Windows 95

or go directly to the microsoft website... just try it man you've got nothing to lose as long as you've backed up and have the windows 95 disc.

I posted a topic on this yesterday in the OS forum. From what I have read if you have 95 you can not go directly to 98SE. You must go to 98FE. If I am wrong though please correct me.

ok i will try going directly to 98 se but if it doesn't work i will notify you Vandiyan. The problem is, my floppy drive isnt working so i cant back my system up and i cant read the disks. i posted a new thread about this titled Floppy Drive Not Working......please help

lurkswithin said:
zipperman,
why are you afraid to post your fixes in this forum, Why does this have to be done through Email. The purpose here is to be open about the issues and how to correct them so that all who read them may benefit from it.
Only 1 reason and i solved it,attachments.
No more email requests unless i feel a 1 to 1 communication will be better and less confuseing to a newbie.
But everyone in the world is in terrible fear of
"Give my email address" you gotta be kidding. :eek:
So much for this wonderfull World Wide Web's abilities.
:mad:
729233@rogers.com
;)

Dishdog said:
If you have the disk you could just try it.
I think i said that but you need a W98 boot or properly called "system floppy disk" to fdisk,format and either do a DOS/W95 install starting with the 3 DOS floppys i can send or a W98 system disk,yours or a friends.
Of course you do need a W9X cd.
Did you think you didn't ? I suspect you did. :rolleyes:

Ok...

The really big questions I have are what are the specs on this computer?
Are the 98 and 2000 cd's full install or upgrade cd's?
Is it a lap or desk system?

I took a p1 with 32megs of ram running 166mhz and loaded 98se on it and it works just fine. It had 95 on it and I formatted and did a fresh install of 98se. I have 2000 running on a p2 with 128megs at 266mhz and it's whoa momma fast. This one had 2000 on it already.
You don't need the floppy to install 98. Make the cd-rom the first boot device and have the cd in the drive when you bootup. It has all the partition and formatting commands on the cd. Follow the directions as they appear. If your floppy is dead then get 98 on the system and trouble shoot it from there.

wow thanks a lot that has been the most helpful post so far. Well, to start off the cds are full install and it is a desk system. It is an HP pavilion 7125 runnin 133 mhz with about 48 megs of Ram. I am also running windows 95. How do i make the cd-rom the first boot device?

Back
Top Bottom