File Swapping

Vandiyan

In Runtime
Once I get my new computer built (last 3 parts are on order and should have them by Thursday) will I be able to transfer files from my old computer to my new one via a network cable? All I am really wanting to transfer are my pics from my digital camera so that I can then burn them onto a CD. Will I need any special program that I can download to do this?

Why don't you burn them to a cd or dvd. Then you can copy them any where and still have a permanent record.

you can burn it, but that can get a little expensive... if you do get a router, what I would do is just hook both computers up to the router, then log on to AIM, mIRC or something like that... once you do that, then you can just send folders at a time from one computer to another... that is how I normally transfer information from my computers to each other!

if you bought your camera it usually comes with a cd that has a program on it. If you have the camre driver instialled on you system windows might read it as a drive that would enable you to just drag and drop. But most of the time the program that comes with your cd should work. If not then you can enter your camera's model into google type in something like...gets pictures from camera model free download and it should do it..but make sure you have everything right before you download it. :D

per said:
Why don't you burn them to a cd or dvd. Then you can copy them any where and still have a permanent record.

I do not have a burner on my old computer, so burning is out of the question or I would have already done that.

I was hoping that I would be able to connect the computers without buying a router. I have been wanting to do a wireless network for my PS2 and my computer so a wired router would just go to waste after I bought all of the wireless components. I may just log onto Yahoo messanger and send a file from one computer and then log onto my other computer with a different sign-on and then download the file. Would that work, or would the file not even try to send since the other user is not signed on at the moment.

/edit I just read something while searching Google about a Crossover Cable. Would this allow me to directly connect the two computers without using a router?

why dont you just take out your hard drive on the old computer, and use it as a secondary drive on your new computer and then transfer the data, then you wouldnt even have to use internet or anything and it would be a whole lot faster.

Would having XP installed on that HD make it a problem. Or can I somehow un-install XP on the HD from the old computer and just save certain files and then put the HD into the new build. Grrr my head is starting to hurt.

It shouldn't make a difference. Just make sure that your new hard drive is set to master and your old one with the pictures on it is set to slave.

Another option is, if you're getting a burner on the new computer, to install it in the old computer just to burn a CD of the pictures. Then take it out and put it in the new computer. Kinda inefficient, but it'd work.

Also, the crossover cable would work if you still just wanted to connect the two. Just make sure it's a CROSSOVER Cat5e or Cat6 ethernet cable. Then use Windows to set up a network.

Back
Top Bottom