Burned USB drive... bad motherboard?

Waffa

Solid State Member
Hello
I have an question about USB Flash stick.
My 512 USB stick heated up a lot every time i used it (actually i used it only 3-4 times). On different computers it did not head up as much. So yesterday i leave my stick to the computer all night long & in da morning my drive did not work anymore (mine & neither in any other computer) & i believe i smelled even a little burning. Something similar happened whit my friend 256MB stick some moths ago. I just got my mother board (Soyo Sy-P4VGA) changed - could it be that something got connected wrong on mother board & that's why it burned out? I know the front USB is connected to the motherboard manually Or could the problem be the software or stick by himself? The stick worked well before whit other computers thought...
Have You guys heard something like that before? How could i test if my USB is connected correctly?

There are USB testers for connectivity.. But rather expensive.. They measure volts, amps and connectivity..

best thing you can do is get a manual for the Mother board and make sure the wires for the front USB are connected to the mother board correctly.

I would suspect a power supply problem, or possibly a mobo problem over bad wireing. I could be wrong, but I'd think with bad wireing, it just plain wouldn't work, or fry it instantly

I have not heard of this before and as such I did a fairly extensive search using a multitude of keywords in 3 different search engines and it did not show any thing at all.
There was one reference to a heating issue due to built in light(s) on the drive but that was it.
I would call the manufacturer and talk to the techs there and see what can be done about replacement.
Hope this helps.

Back
Top Bottom