Overheating

malakian88

Baseband Member
So warm weather has come, and I did expect my CPU temp to go up. Buuuuut, not to this extent. I was playing GTA:SA last night, and it started to get funky, freezing up randomly and then continuing gameplay. I had a sneaking suspicion it was my CPU temp, cuz I had noticed it was creeping up. Sure enough, my freakin' CPU was at 63 C. I shut my computer down then. I did some rewiring to improve airflow (it was a mess inside my case) but this only furthered my issues.

When I went to boot up my computer again, it wouldn't do anything, no beeps, nothing... so I shut it off manually and tried again. After two more tries, it worked, I got a message from the BIOS saying my system was now in safe mode and to reset all overclocking (i haven't overclocked at all). I continued from there, and got back to windows. So occasionally that happens now, most of the time, after I get passed this, my system can go on and off with no problems. Could that be caused from the excessive heat? I rechecked my wiring, and I don't think that is the issue. The PSU is brand new, a 480w Coolmax.

I have a Thermaltake Venus 12 CPU fan/heatsink for cooling. People have given it good reviews and it seemed to have a really good impact on temperatures... and it did for the most part. The highest I was getting on my CPU was 50 C. How could it jump 12 C like that? It doesn't make sense that temperature would go up this much.

let me know if you need more information, i have plenty i left out because of the size of the post...

hey, what program are you using, because readings that high sound like software issues, not hardware. I THOUGHT I had an overheating issue, but the "problem" was actually due to bad readings by MBM 5. Uninstall all of the other monitoring programs and reboot, then install SpeedFan.

I don't think a bad software issue would freeze and crash his game..i would definately check the fans and the wiring...

yea, i think its badd, when i finish school i'll start working on cooling it down. I dont have time now. And it's not messing anything up so i guess it's okay for now. I play games at full resolution and detail, and they play perfectly fine.

Yeah, this is a very weird problem. By any chance is the CPU working more than normal? Control Alt Delete, check the CPU usage. How high does it go when the game starts freezing?

Anyway, I don't think that temperature is anything to worry about, though its weird its reading more.

By any chance is the video card temperature increasing because of a fan issue, and its not the CPU at all? The fact it freezes in game suggests to me its the video card.

Because the video card is close to the CPU fan, is it possible that the heat from the video card overheating while playing games, could be affecting the CPU too?

I hope this helps :)

Well problem solved as of 3 hours ago. I got some good thermal paste, (unlike the crap that came with my fan) Arctic Silver 5. The temp is down significantly.

As for the other hardware issues, my computer is now posting, and beeps once (the correct amount of times.) I really have no idea why it wasn't working before but I don't care, cuz it is now lol.

I do believe I fried my wireless adapter though lol, the computer shorted while I was moving it (an exposed plug for a fan touched the case and I think thats what did it). I am replacing that tomorrow, hooray for keeping receipts lol.

Thanx for all your suggestions though!

Back
Top Bottom