Computer Case Transfer

War Eagle

Beta member
Hello all.

I'm not much of a computer guy, but I need some help and wondered if any of you could provide it.

I have a Dell Dimension 4500s which is a very thin tower computer. With the tower being so small, it has limited space to work with and only a 180W power supply. I need to do a case transfer so that I can get a case with a larger power supply and more space to use so I can install a new graphics card to run the newer games coming out. However the Geek Squad at Best Buy says they charge around $160 to do the case transfer for me

So my question is this. Can a person such as myself with little computer hardware knowlege do the transfer myself? I'd much rather not have to spend $160, so any help on how I could do this myself would be greatly appreciated.

If this info is at all needed I was going to use this case here: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16811170020

and my motherboard is MicroATX form.

Thanks again.

Just make sure the motherboard will fit in the case. It might be a proprietary design that fits only with specific Dell cases.

yes, as sho95 says. take loads of images, especialy the wiring to jumpers ect. have you still got your mobos hand book? you might have some wires in your new tower that were not in your old one. the photos wont help you with them, but the book will.
rember to avoid any static discharge while doing the work.
woz

So what can I tell you guys about my MB that will let you find out if it will work in a new case or not? I can take a picture if you'd like. Also, I'm not completely unfamiliar with the inside of my computer, I have installed RAM, and ethernet card and my current graphics card, so I know where stuff goes a little bit.

And how do I limit static charge when doing the case transfer?

My rule of thumb is to have one hand or parts of your body touching the metal chassis of the case to act as ground. Or you can spend a few dollars and buy an anti-static wrist strap which most professionals use.

Before the transfer, note where everything is plugged in to. IT is good that you know in general, how things are plugged in. Be careful with the components and try to grab your parts by the edge and not the connectors or the surface of the boards. Keep static away. Insert hardware devices evenly and don't dip one end in the slot first. Make sure the power plug is completely disconnected so no juice is flowing through it. You probably know that though. I know some people here get so caught up in their installs that they forget to unplug the power cable.

you should be good from here..i would check all the specs before i start moving stuff around tho. One part that isn't compatible bam you're down no computer

you can, buy a bigger tower and install new things, there may be a weaird heatsink on the CPU, Just rebuild another one, with a extension heatsink on

So basically there isn't really a walkthrough I can get, its just, unplus this and plug it back into the new case? If it's just that it can't be all too complicated! How many parts am I looking at having to transfer, and after I take everything out, where would be a safe place to put it before it goes into the new case?

sure there's plenty of walkthroughs there several even on this forum but you have to make sure everything is compatible...is it??

Back
Top Bottom