Firearms? Whos got em.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Urgh. I hate when gun enthusiasts quote the second amendment as if it were their one-sentence bible. Not only was it written for the intention of wartime situations (there's hardly a war here), but just because it says you CAN have one doesn't mean you SHOULD.

I know I'm sounding like a gun controller, but I'm not. I have no problem with a responsible owner. I've been shooting as well, and it's fun. I just think there should be more rigorous standards for who should be getting a gun. There are too many irresponsible people in this world to just be handing these weapons out to anyone without a criminal conviction. The second amendment enables the responsible and irresponsible alike.

Guns are illegal in Australia, and have been since the Port Arthur shootings by Martin Bryant on 28.04.1996. Where he killed 35 people and wounded 22 others (This is a world record for a single mass shooting, which the Americans can't seem to beat no matter how often they try).

http://www.ema.gov.au/ema/emadisasters.nsf/0/d8fa5d57ffd118beca256d3300057b8f?OpenDocument

You can apply for a licence to have a firearm but there is a good chance that you will be knocked back.

I used to own a pump action shotgun and a 303. I surrendered these in a amnesty. As for a firearm for self defence, not for me I just use my Nulla Nulla, a good crack across the knee's will bring them to a stop quick smart...
:D

>
>
Funny. I just received this 10 minutes ago. Don't know if it is true or not.
> >
> >
> >>Subject: Guns
> >>
> >>
> >> > > Subject: "Australian Gun Prohibition" from Gene Hutson
> >> > >
> >> > > Here's a thought to warm some of your hearts...
> >> > > From: Ed Chenel, A police officer in Australia
> >> > >
> >> > > Hi Yanks, I thought you all would like to see the real figures
> >>from Down
> >> > > Under. It has now been 12 months since gun owners in Australia
> >>were
> >> > > forced by a new law to surrender 640,381 personal firearms to
> >>be
> >> > > destroyed by our own government, a program costing Australia
> >>taxpayers
> >> > > more than $500 million dollars.
> >> > > The first year results are now in:
> >> > > Australia-wide, homicides are up 3.2 percent,
> >> > > Australia-wide, assaults are up 8.6 percent;
> >> > > Australia-wide, armed robberies are up 44 percent (yes, 44
> >>percent)!
> >> > > In the state of Victoria alone, homicides with firearms are
> >>now up 300
> >> > > percent.
> >> > > (Note that while the law-abiding citizens turned them in, the
> >>criminals
> >> > > did not and criminals still possess their guns!)
> >> > > While figures over the previous 25 years showed a steady
> >>decrease in
> >> > > armed robbery with firearms, this has changed drastically
> >>upward in the
> >> > > past 12 months, since the criminals now are guaranteed that
> >>their prey
> >> > > is unarmed. There has also been a dramatic increase in
> >>break-ins and
> >> > > assaults of the elderly.
> >> > > Australian politicians are at a loss to explain how public
> >>safety has
> >> > > decreased, after such monumental effort and expense was
> >>expended in
> >> > > "successfully ridding Australian society of guns."
> >> > > You won't see this on the American evening news or hear your
> >>governor or
> >> > > members of the State Assembly disseminating this information.
> >> > > The Australian experience proves it. Guns in the hands of
> >>honest
> >> > > citizens save lives and property and, yes, gun-control laws
> >>affect only
> >> > > the law-abiding citizens.
> >> > > Take note Americans, before it's too late!
> >> > >
> >> > >
> >> > >
> >> >
> >> >
> >> >
> >>
> >
> >_________________________________________________________________
> >Express yourself instantly with MSN Messenger! Download today - it's
> >FREE!
> >http://messenger.msn.click-url.com/go/onm00200471ave/direct/01/
> >

Hullo everyone.

I just moved up to New Hampshire from near Philly and I didn't think I would find a state even MORE gun friendly than Pennsylvania. NH is a good place to live.

Anyway, here's my small list...

Ruger P95 9mm pistol. 2 15 round mags and 3 10 round mags.

.22 bolt action rifle.
12 gauge pump

For my next purchase I'm realling itching to get an AR-15 .223 with a short barrel, muzzle break, and collapsable stock. Buddy had one and it was fun as hell to shoot. Seen one at the store for $800. Forget who the manufacture was though. Probably wasn't a colt for that cheap but it was still a nice rifle.

15 round clips... :( Now I'm jelous....
Here in WI only law enforcement can have clips bigger than 10 round for hand guns.

spank_fusion said:
Urgh. I hate when gun enthusiasts quote the second amendment as if it were their one-sentence bible.

Do you know what happens when one of your right gets taken away? You wont get them back.. What about this one?
Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

If we were to take that admendment away from you then you woulnd't have the right to be able to sit here and say what you like.. Our Constitution of the United States give us rights as citizens and should be stated, read and practiced by all citizens of the US.. If we do not defend them we'll lose them.

BuzzStPoint said:
How do you like the baby Eagle? I was thinking about getting one.

it's great, I love it. nice and small

remember guys.....guns don't kill people, husbands that come home early do.

and for the record, carrying a gun around doesn't mean you're gonna kill someone. the handguns have to be registered and if you have any criminal record at all, you aren't getting a gun legally. I don't carry my gun on a daily basis, in fact I hardly ever do anymore, the reason I got it was for protection (long story, but my life was in danger) and that time has passed and I don't feel I need it anymore.

Tommy Boy said:
it's great, I love it. nice and small

remember guys.....guns don't kill people, husbands that come home early do.

and for the record, carrying a gun around doesn't mean you're gonna kill someone. the handguns have to be registered and if you have any criminal record at all, you aren't getting a gun legally. I don't carry my gun on a daily basis, in fact I hardly ever do anymore, the reason I got it was for protection (long story, but my life was in danger) and that time has passed and I don't feel I need it anymore.

Here in wisconsin we have an "Open Carry" law. Meaning that I can carry my gun in a holster on the outside of coats, jackets. Everyone must be able to see it.. Next year we will be voting again for the Conciels carry law.. We just votes last year and got "shot" down on that one.

For anyone in the US. Here is a great site about Laws on weapons..
http://www.packing.org/state/index.jsp

BuzzStPoint said:
Do you know what happens when one of your right gets taken away? You wont get them back.. What about this one?
Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

If we were to take that admendment away from you then you woulnd't have the right to be able to sit here and say what you like.. Our Constitution of the United States give us rights as citizens and should be stated, read and practiced by all citizens of the US.. If we do not defend them we'll lose them.

I didn't say anything about taking away anybody's rights. I just said that having the right to do something doesn't mean you SHOULD do something. There's a difference between me saying you can eat some of my candy (or whatever) and me commanding you to. It irritates me when gun enthusiasts quote this passage as a means for getting everybody to go out and get a gun. I think a lot fewer people need to own guns just because many people are not responsible enough to own them. When enthusiasts push guns so hard, it becomes very easy to not look at who you're pushing them at.

"Hey dad! I know I'm only twelve, but can I have a gun?!"

"Sure, son. Just be very careful with it."

[Son uses gun in irresponsible manner (like concealing it and bringing it with him somewhere) because he is too young and irresponsible to understand the difference between acceptable gun use and unacceptable and because he is unaware of the repercussions of said irresponsible behavior.]

I'm just saying that guns are not toys. If you want everyone to have a gun, then you sure as hell better have everyone who gets one to know how to use it RESPONSIBLY.

EDIT> I hope you're not taking this personally, Buzz. I'm not trying to attack you or anything. Just stating my opinion on the topic. I have nothing against you owning a gun. Like I said, I think they're fun. I just want them to be used with the care and respect they garner.

in PA, you can hunt when you are 12, but you have to take the hunters safety course, so these kids aren't just being handed guns with no direction.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom