New Video Card

danby

Solid State Member
Video Card Help

Hi,

I'm new to this forum and have been perusing some of the threads, but still haven't really found what I'm looking for.

I'm interested in purchasing a new video card to replace the current, stock one that I have. The current video card I have is occupying the AGP slot on the motherboard, and there are two PCI slots that are available. I would like to get an AGP video card, because it is my understanding that they are much better than PCI cards.

My question is: Can someone please tell me if it is possible to remove the current, stock video card from my AGP slot and install a new, store-bought one? And if so, what type of video card would you recommend?

Oh, and I'm asking because I would like to be able to run a couple of newer games on my computer. Nothing very intensive.

It would help if you would post what motherboard, memory, present video card, etc. you have.
By the way, Welcome to the forum.

Thanks for the reply and welcome.

Computer specs:
Model: DIM4500
Processor: P4 2.0 gHz
Memory: 512 MB RAM
Hard Drive: 40GB
Current video card: 32MB ATI Rage 128 Ultra. I know, it's old.

How do I check what my motherboard specs are?

The motherboard: Intel Pendleton 2 D845EPT2

Any other information needed?

As much as I can find it would be best to take the machine or the specs to a local shop and have them suggest a card. I would think almost any good video card up to 128 megs memory AGP would be O.K.

But would it be possible to remove the existing card from the AGP slot and install a new one there?

I have my eye on the GeForce MX 4000 128MB card.

Sure, Just remove the screw holding it in the case and pull it out and reinsert the new card and reinstall the hold down screw. Like changing a light bulb. LOL!

Ok, perfect. I had checked a couple of other sources and I had found conflicting information about that. Two sources had told me I could, and another said that I couldn't, so I wanted to be sure that I didn't buy something I couldn't use.

Thanks for your help!

That board requires a 2x or 4x AGP video card with 1.5volt. and it has a special look.please refer to the link for identifying the type of card it HAS to use.
http://support.intel.com/support/motherboards/desktop/sb/CS-009010.htm
Note**** there is NO MORE support from INTEL on that board so what you are seeing is for reference only.

I compared it to an ATI 7000 and it will work...If you are interested...The ati 7500 will NOT work
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814102494&CMP=OTC-pr1c3watch&ATT=Video+Cards

Back
Top Bottom