Internet/OS Security Threats - Are they for real or are they overhyped?

David- Are you saying you ignore the MS updates? That is a big mistake as you can expose yourself to many viruses and worms. Not to mention you saying THAT will entice some of the less knowledgable members to ignore them.

Um...

I get them not at regular times but when I've seen something on here or other places that remind me to. But seriously it's very important to get them as they fix flakey code and maybe add something you need or just beef up the security of your system. I've heard about some updates causing problems but it's a rare occurrance that gets blow out of proportion.

Get them...

A good anti-virus and firewall will stop most of that junk from comming through.. I dont update very often

Going back to my original post...Gartner slams IT security scaremongers for overhyping security threads as:

* IP telephony is unsafe

* Mobile malware will cause widespread damage

* 'Warhol' worms will make the internet unreliable for business traffic and VPNs

* Regulatory compliance equals security

* Wireless hotspots are unsafe

"Many businesses are delaying rolling out high productivity technologies, such as wireless local area networks and IP telephony systems, because they have seen so much hype about the potential threats," said Lawrence Orans, principal analyst at Gartner

Link to read rest of story
http://www.vnunet.com/vnunet/news/2137762/overhyped-security-threats

The moral of this topic is: Quit being scaremongers!!!

word, got to stay updated w/the latest updates and patches, must keep up to date, thanx ..keep em updated.

Back
Top Bottom