Building new comp.

so....my question is, what are you going to do with your computer? Is it gaming? Video editing? And i guessing you want to go with Intel.

I trust Intel, mostly gaming, but not too serious, like Roller Coaster Tycoon 3 and stuff, online, and schoolwork. The reason I didn't pick out a hard drive is because I'm going to try to pluck the hard drive from my current Dell and put it in the new one, if not I'll use another method to get everything from one to the other.

Also new processor Intel celeron http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16819112194

Ahhhh, much better. Everything is compatible with that ECS motherboard. I don't know anything about that brand though. Couldn't tell you if it's good or not. Two things I noticed:

1) That board has both an AGP and a PCIe x16 slot. It would work fine, but seems excessive considering PCIe x16 (for now) and AGP are only used for graphics cards. But like I said, it will still work fine with both.

2) The parallel ATA is only 100 as opposed to the more current 133. That difference could make it very sluggish if your hard drive is parallel ATA. Also, I hope that you either a) have only ONE optical drive (i.e. CD burner) and ONE hard drive, or b) you have at least some SATA components. I say this because the board you chose only supports two parallel ATA components, like your hard drive for example. Now, if your hard drive uses the newer SATA connection, it shouldn't be a problem, and that would eliminate the limited speed of that parallel ATA 100. However, if all your components are parallel ATA, you will only be able to have two. Assuming you will be using an HD in that scenario (wouldn't be much of a computer without one), that leaves you with only one other space for a CD-ROM or burner.

Just some things to think about. Your current setup should work fine, but make sure it will be the way you want. Consider the things I said here.

perhaps another way to go about this is to maybe share what your budget is ... then some of us could piece together some "packages" that we would consider doing if it was our money being spent. I'd be glad to "part out" a computer building project for you to use as a reference, if I had an idea of the kind of money you're going to initially spend. I'm sure others here would be glad to share their ideas as well.

My preference is to stay away from the Celeron processor if you're into gaming and maybe some mp3, dvd burning projects. If Intel is what you trust ... I'd find a decent Pentium 4 processor. The "meat & potatoes" of a computer building project in my opinion has got to start at the CPU & the motherboard with the on-board options you want (i.e. firewire, usb 2.0, on-board audio). Anything else ... video card, amount of (compatible) memory, computer case ... are secondary and depend on preferences and whats left in the budget. For example, maybe you'd like to have 1gb of ddr ram eventually, but 512mb ddr ram would definitely be enough to get you started and then you could use your money towards a more elaborate video card. Save your money and buy another 512mb stick in a month or 2. Again, this is just an opinion.

Im assuming you read it wrong, but ownage said PCI Express ... not agp express. BTW habook2, definitely go with a motherboard with PCI Express ... no sense in going with AGP since they're getting phased out.

I like PCI anyway. And less than $1000 for total, find a better motherboard if you can. As it is the current setup is $702.12 including shipping. The graphics card and the case MUST stay the same, build everything around those, and try to make it look cool with the blue lighting inside the case.

Back
Top Bottom