Internet/OS Security Threats - Are they for real or are they overhyped?

XPUser1

In Runtime
Almost on a daily basis, I read news article alerting us to new internet and operating security threads. Sometimes I feel they are overblown and hyped.

What do you do each time you hear it? Do you take drastic action or do you take it with complacency?

Edited: The timing of my posting this thread follows the conclusion of Gartner IT Security Summit held June 5 - June 8 in Washington, D.C.

90% of the time I ignore them untill I'm in the update and patch mode. For home anyways.. My work computer is up to date.

Most of these risks are holes that they find that only a few people know about.. Further more. I think these should only really be pushed on Business users. Not home users..

They sell stuff telling the consumer. Buy this and you wont have any trouble from hackers!! This sends panic to the user.. Think about it.. Does the hacker really wnat your quicken file? Hell no.. He/she could care less about trying to get into your computer. They want business's information.

Most stuff is blown over I think.. Kinda makes people feel important.

Wombat said:
MS Patch Wednesday is next week woohoooooooo :D

Nay M$$ Patch Day is traditionally Tuesday (Uncle Bill's fully-awaken day following Blue Mondays). I also noticed it rolls out of Redmond around 12:30-1:30 P.M. Eastern Standard time (9:30 - 10:30 AM Pacific Standard Time).

Ah right, sounds kewl :)

Yeah, i think they are slightly overhyped since it's probably found by a small amount of people and then patched up. but even a small number of people, i think is worth patching it for, since more dangerous people will get hold of it and start to mess around with that threat.

hehe though its weird isn't it, they release these threat buletins yeah? and it could be these causing the harm since hackers and people like that then know theres a flaw to get hold of :| Sounds bit mad that if you think about it,
but I'm glad they try to stop it as well as they can.

XPUser said:
Nay M$$ Patch Day is traditionally Tuesday (Uncle Bill's fully-awaken day following Blue Mondays). I also noticed it rolls out of Redmond around 12:30-1:30 P.M. Eastern Standard time (9:30 - 10:30 AM Pacific Standard Time).
Tuesday in America is Wednesday in Australia... So Patch Wednesday
:D

Back
Top Bottom