Firearms? Whos got em.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am simply reflecting on arming my self by the 2nd admendment given to me by my country.

SECOND AMENDMENT
A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.
2nd Amendment

nough said and I'm out.....

The main problem here I think is the difference in cultures between the US and the UK. People in the UK do not have guns, hell the cops do not even carry guns (to my knowledge at least.) So I would think that they feel very strongly about not using guns or people having guns for sport. Since most of them have probably never been around a firearm they get their information from the news. And you will always hear on the news about some child shooting another child by accident on the news. You will very rarely here anything positive about guns. That is the media's fault. I feel that a gun in a trained persons hand does not always have to be dangerous. I have been shooting guns since I was a little older then 5 (I am 28 now.) I was taught the dangers of guns and how to use them in a safe manner. Most of the child accidents that you see in the US that involve guns are where the kid tries to show off the gun to his friends. I was taught that they are not a toy. Maybe if more gun owners would take the time and educate the people they live with then there would be less gun related accidents.

That being said I do not own any guns anymore because my wife does not know how to properly shoot one. I feel if I am going to have one then she needs to know how to use it.

ive been around firearms, one of my friends is a licenced shotgun holder, and they are great fun... i have also got marksman with both full bore and air rifles, and used to shoot (targets) every week...

i still do not think that giving a gun to a 10 year old is at all responsible....

and seltis, sorry if i had anything to do what that...

As for giving guns to kids ... it depends on the access that the children have to the guns really. I mean in the US, kids are not really allowed to "own" guns anyway. So "giving" a kid a gun is silly.

Now having said that, I have purchased shotguns and .22s for both of my children. My Son is now 13 (he got his when he was 7) and my Daughter is 9 (She got her guns last year). When I say I bought these guns, I don't mean to say that I just handed them to the children and let them take them to their rooms. The guns are locked away in a safe place with my own fire arms. And they are on opisite ends of the house from the bullets that go with the guns. The ammo is hidden and locked up btw. So while one could say that I have "given" guns to my kids, they have no more access to these then they have to the guns at the store down the road.

We own some land in northern michigan and we have built a fireing range there. We do practice VERY strict gun safety.

I can say honestly and without a doubt that there has NEVER been anything close to an accedent with guns and my children.

Were it not for the right to bear arms we would still be a British colony! {he said with tongue in cheek}.

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

So you also support the idea of localised untrained armed forces? unofficial and not formed to an official capacity?

FYI like I said I've been to shooting galleries, and the first tmie I went I must have been abdout 7 or 8, though it was only with an air riffle, but even then you are taught that it's still a weapon and can still be dabgerous.

There are guns in my house (they belong to my dad) who does have a shotgun license, -in britain there are seperate licenses for shotguns and firearms.
It doesn't make you any more or less secure, and it doesn't give me any more or less freedom to express myself...

a point brought up earlier was that drink driving kills more peple in a year than guns, well that is true, but we do not, (as a society) celebrate drink driving in the same way we celebrate guns, I can't imagine anyone defending my right to drink drive if I started a thread saying "how many beers do you have before driving home?"

certainly I cannot imagine a countries constitution definding my right to drink and drive.

Were it not for the right to bear arms we would still be a British colony! {he said with tongue in cheek}.
yes, but at least yuo wuoldn't have to put up with george bush!

If you want to start with the politics, here ya go! At least we don't have to support a useless monarchy.

I'm sure that with a large enough militia we could overthrow the monarchy...

now where did I put my guns???

Grrrrrrrr!!!

Excerpt from root's post>>>

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So you also support the idea of localised untrained armed forces? unofficial and not formed to an official capacity?
In the fledgling days of this country the military was refered to as the Militia. It's a figure of speech used then. It appears in the Consitution worded that way as that is the way we talked then.
It does not mean at least speaking for myself that a militia as it is perceived today is supported. I personally perceive them as rouge and dangerous.

They balance out the far left extremists. Now if we could get them all in an arena somewhere and let them fight it out maybe they would leave the rest of us alone. LOL!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom