WLAN Question.

Inferior

Solid State Member
I was going to buy a laptop that can connect to the internet anywhere. I was going to buy a sony that has Wireless LAN (802.11 a/b/g). Does the "a" mean i can connect anywhere or almost anywhere?

A B G are types of wireless tech..

A is the oldest form and almost gone.. B is the most widely used. and G is the newest and fastest that people are upgrading to.

NO you wont be able to connect anywhere.. The only places you will be able to connect to is free wi-fi hotspots. Many places are now starting to offer free wi-fi

Or in your home. But as far as going anywhere and getting a connection.. Nope.

are you sure a is faster than g. I read an article somewhere if you have a dual router such as a/g it means you can have your internet going over lets say g and streaming your video over a? is that true

did you install the driver of you wireless internet card? If you did and there is a network you should see it in my network places...

The wireless card will be automatically installed for you.. and ready to recieve a signal.

Once you enter an area with a wireless signal you'll see a balloon pop up and let you know there is a wireless signal. Click on it and it will connect for you.. As long as you dont need an ecryption key..

But just because you get the wireless card, This doesn't mean you get free internet everywhere you go. Someone has to provide this. Whether you have wireless in your home. Or you school, coffee shop or public library.

Should also add, you have to be in range of these wireless areas.

Yeah. I know Panera and Barnes & Noble offer free wireless. At least some of them. If you want to set up a wireless network in your home, though, you'd have to get a wireless transmitter to connect to your broadband modem.

Back
Top Bottom