Backup Software

jim1

BSOD
Does anybody know of any software that i can make a complete backup of windows and my documents on to DVD dISK becouse i would have to buy a backup cd of the manufacturer and they cost a fortune if my computer was to mess up or something.
PREFEBLY FREE BACKUP SOFTWARE WOULD BE NICE!
Thanx.

just back up your data on to cd-r's or dvd-r's. stuff like pictures, movies, music...etc that you want to keep.

how do you mean complete back up?

for backing up documents to a nice compressed format NTBackup should be more than enough, and is supplied with windows

start > Programs > Accessories > System tools > Backup...

it can backup all your documents and data to a file which you could then put on a CD... if your computer went wrong all you'd have to do is re-install windows and the use NT backup to recover all your data from the CD...

but I don't think that's exactly what you meant is it? is the problem something more like you on't have a windows cd, and don't have installation media for a lot of the programs you have, and it'll be far farto much hassle to reinstal everything???

in that case I sugest you look at

Norton Ghost
or
Powerquest Drive image

I've no experiancewith drive image, but ghost works by exactly copying your hard disk bit by bit into a file, which you can then burn to a for safe keeping...

when everything goes wrong, (as it inevitably will) you can just pop the D in, pop in the boot diskette (unless you make the CD bootable, then you don't even need a boot diskette... and just restore...

you broken system will be restored to the exact point where you took the ghost image, with all programs and documents...

No free lunch...
Ghost will make a complete backup, including OS...
Just be sure you do a restore to the same size hard drive...

Ghost will do a clone to a different size hard drive larger or smaller. It will format and partition the drive to the proper size for the clone. I do it at least twice a week from a 150 gig drive to a 100 gig and a 60 gig and vice-versa. I am speaking of ghost 8.0, the dos version. I don't use the windows 9.0 version.

Back
Top Bottom