Help with WiFi

Have you enable this ics through the network bit in the ie conections box. there is a lan button at the bottom you should try. click to recieve the settings.

I haven't tried, but I haven't been able to get in to reply, I will try the LAN button though

What exactly does ipconfig say? It seems to me that if you are getting an ipconflict message that there might be a chance that somehow his ip got set statically on his computer. Let us know exactly what ipconfig says, and exactly what ip address you have.

now when I try ipconfig with only a wireless connection available I get an error that says it can't find any hardware to configure, or something like that. Can't remember right off hand right now. It still says I am connected to the network, but won't let me see web pages. I saw another thread that discussed this same thing and will look there. Any advice posted here would also be greatly appreciated.

My ipconfig says:

Windows IP Configuration

Ethernet adapter Wireless Network Connection:

Connection Specific DNS suffix:
IP Address: 192.168.0.1
Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway:

Is there any problem here?

yeah, there is a problem. If when you go to a business or whatever and you get an IP address of 192.168.0.1 and no gateway, then you need to go to control panel -> network connections -> and then your wireless connection and right click and go to properties. Then go to the last tab at the top, probably advanced and deselect "Share this internet connection" or "allow other computers to connect to the internet through this computer". Then click ok and get out of that menu. Then go back into the properties of the wireless connection. Double click internet protocol (tcpip), then make sure that "obtain ip address automatically" and "obtain dns server addresses automatically" are checked. Then restart and maybe that will help.

One more thing. What I told you about deselecting the "share this internet connection", that is ICS. You don't want to enable ICS for what you are doing. You would want to enable ICS if, for instance, you were using your computer as a router or something of that nature. Then, you would have your wired connection with its ip and the wireless would act like a gateway. Just remember, if you are connecting through another computer or router, you will need that computer or routers ip address as the gateway. What I told you earlier should fix the problem.

Back
Top Bottom