Printer Setup

cgarnettiii

Beta member
Hey guys,

I have 2 computers, one is with winxp on it, with an ethernet card and a laser printer connected to it via usb.

My second computer is under win98se, 50mbs of ram, no ethernet or usb

it does have a large printer port

Can i hook both computers to the printer, 1 using usb and the other just using the old style printer port?

Is this possible or will it cause problems?

If its not possible what other methods would you recomend?

Thanks!

btw the printer is an HP LaserJet 1320 and is currently installed on the machine with winxp

Hmm, i'm not too sure. The only thing I can think of, is if it has a spare PCI slot in there, to get a USB card.

This would then add USB functionality, in which you could share the printer.

Though, it would be easier if you got an ethernet card, again using a spare PCI slot, to hook both PC's together. Then you simply use the Netowork Setup Wizard that comes with windows (Start, Programs, Accessories, Communications, Network Setup Wizard)

Then you can make both computers link and share data for example, and make them both share the same printer.

I hope this helps :)

how would i do it with usb, put a usb hub on there or something?

its already coming out of a hub

cause i have 3 printers connected to the winxp machine all by the 2 usbs in the back of the pc

like this

Code:
     ------ computer (xp)-------------------
    |                                       |
    |USB                                    | USB
    |                                       |
 Hp DeskJet                                 |
Color Printer/Scanner                       |
                                     [4 port usb splitter]
                                       |               |
                                       |USB            |
                                       |               |
                                  HP LaserJet          |
                                                       | USB
                                                       |
                               Epson InkJet (High Quality Photo Printer)

computer (win98se)
                  |
                  |
                  |
             Epson Printer (very old)
I want to get rid of the old epson and put the 98se pc through th laser jet, i am afraid to update the hardware becasue it has an important database program installed on with a huge amount of important info i cant afford to loose

the problem is i dont have the product key for my c and the software is out of print, its called One Write plus, but its a very old version,

That is a cool utillity, but im not sure how to use it to find on the produt key for my program

any hints

Ah, no, it wouldn't find keys for you, its not illiegal like that :p Itsuseful though for finding all about your PC and what it contains though.

As with a ethernet adapter though (you might have to get two, but there very cheap, about a tenner each)

you'd buy one for the Win98 old PC (don't worry about updating, all you'd need to do is fit it, and install the drivers and you'd be done),

and then install another one on the XP machine (since the XP computer is already using one for internet, unless theres a way of splitting one),

Finally you'd connect an ethernet cable from one to the other, and set up a simple home network to share the printer and other resources.

I'm sure thats possible. Anyone here know i'm right so I can assure myself i've given the right info? Especially since its XP to 98

I hope this helps :)

Yeah, that's probably the best way for the setup he has, Kage. It would also allow access to all three printers. I think it would be better to get rid of that USB network in favor of ethernet cables, but if the printers have no ethernet port, then USB would be the only possibility. Another way that would work is to put a USB card in the old machine and attach it to the USB hub; however, that would only allow access to the two printers on the USB hub.

thanks guys, i got in touch with the company that i made the program up, and they are setting up an upgrade package for my program to migrate to a similar program they sell, so i think ill end up moving it on to the winxp machine

thanks for all the help

Back
Top Bottom