This Is A Strange Forum.

you don't know everything there is to know about computers, there are other people here that help more than you do

OK!! I am the first admit that I have a limited knowledge of computers but your arrogance is is an act of stupidity!! I have only been working with computers for 20 years, I assume your knowledge is 20 years or more.

He sure rubbed you the wrong way. But bad words are not allowed.

I have no arrogance at all.......and I'm stopping on this thread, I'm not getting banned on your account.

I think that per is on to something. and TommyBoy you don't need to go jumping to conclusions.
I think that it would make the site a lot better myself if the postings were seperated a little more than what they are. The pictures and things like that could be in a category by themselves or with the "I want to buy this....what do you think" and the "I really need your help!!!" in a totally different category. It is really hard to try to keep up with helping someone as after each post.. you have to re hunt for it and scroll through the other stuff.
It wouldn't be any different than going from the hardware to the social area as you do right now.
But one thing for certain is we don't need attitudes popping up over a suggestion of change.
And I do believe that every suggestion for the making of this site better should be viewed openly and honestly.

Everyone here just needs some herb. [Passes the pipe.]

Anyway, I feel that even though the stickied threads have tons of posts and views, they haven't gotten enough traffic recently (i.e. in the past month or so) to warrant their continued sticky status. Don't get me wrong, I like the ideas, but I think it's too much.

My suggestion: combine the ideas into one or two simpler things. For example, instead of graphics card, motherboard, case, desktop, workstation, et cetera, go with fewer, more general topics like desktop (that can't really be combined) and computer. The computer one could include pictures of any part of the person's computer. It would be more interesting as well considering people would be less likely to post a picture in a thread like that unless it was better/more interesting/cooler as opposed to people posting pictures of everything they own because that's what the threads are there for. Someone might have the crappiest looking motherboard, but they see that motherboard thread and say, 'Why not? That's what the thread is for!' Nobody wants to see a crappy motherboard.

Another problem is that the more stickies there are, the less traffic each one gets. Nobody wants to keep an eye on ten stickies, but if we have two or three, people will be more interested.

More general stickies also allow for a couple completely different stickies. Examples might include 'weirdest mods' or 'coolest video game screenshot.' Once again, because we have several stickies dealing with mostly the same things, it leaves less room for other interesting topics.

These are my opinions on the stickies. NO MORE YELLING PLEASE!!!!

Some good points...

I'm sitting here reading all of these post over the last few weeks and have come to these conclusions.
1> The stickies have been up far too long.
2> Any attempt to get them streamlined or removed has met with brutal resistance by the members. (The ooing and ahing sydrome)
3> Everyone has their own idea of how things should be done. There has been some great ideas and there has been some real stinkers. And there has been some major blow outs.
4> This is David's forum. He wants the stickies up as they are and that's the way it is.

Now having spoken as a mod I'll now speak as a menber.
Yeah I too would like to see them moved, streamlined, edited or just plain gone. A lot of the posted pics are gone. I edit my photobucket once in a while and pics I have posted are no longer there. But you have to consider WHERE the stickie is posted. Social loung should have the games and the gallery in it. While the hardware/software should have usefull tibbits of infomation. The ooooo and ahhhhh should be parked somewhere else. It has served as a place to hide flame wars and to be truthful doesn't get moderated very well. But that's another story for another time and place.
I think if they can be moved out of the hardware/software section to the social loung it would end a part of the problem around here. Then just let the hardware/software section be about just that.
One last thing. Back to speaking as a mod and hoping David will take this in the way I hope he does. Kage has stepped down from being a mod. Alvino has vanished. Don't ask. And I just can't do it alone. Matt is in once in a while, Mr. Mixx works 2 jobs and doesn't have a lot of free time. Maurice also doesn't spend much time in here. What we need is a couple of mods maybe three that will spend as much time in here as I do. Let me tell you what happened to me tonight to make that a lot clearer. I run a hotel front office on the swing shift.(I came off the maintance thing to help at the front desk.) I take my laptop to the office so I can be in the forum in case something happens. Tonight I checked in a guest that makes $24.00 worth of calls to Texas. I didn't see or hear the phone printer cause I had my nose stuck either in the computer or was dealing with guests. The manager came in at 10 tonight and picked up on the calls and sorta got ill with me and had to upset a guest. I almost wound up having to pay for those calls. Thankfully the guest paid up. But my point is I had my attention diverted to this forum and not on my job. Any brownie points I had with my boss went out the window tonight. I'm getting royally burned out and need some help.

Back
Top Bottom