The Automator

Kage

Golden Master
Hey everyone.

I read in a magazine about the new Mac updated OS, the Tiger update.

Now, i'm not here to ask anything about that. More to ask about a program which would do something which is on that new Mac OS.

The new OS has a program called The Automator, which I think seems really useful.
Basically what it does is lets you program programs (using very simple actions or commands that anyone can use, and download new ones for new programs, etc) to carry on a task over and over, which might have took a long time, and you'd have to stay with it otherwise.

For instance the program can be programmed to make Itunes rip a cd, encode it into MP3, and then add it to a playlist for example.

Though the problem would be that it would only work on Apple made programs like Itunes and Imovie.

But, is there by any chance a program out there for Windows based machines that would do that kind of thing, for many uses?
For instance, installing a program automatically, if ou for instance typed all the cd info into this program, and it'd carry out the procedure for you? Thats just an example by the way.

Thanks for any info :)

Yeah, I wish they could make one. But I did say up there that it would be very hard to do. Mac can rely on this piece of software because most, if not all programs you use on one is made by Apple themseleves, so they can modify the programs to work with the new Automator rather easily.

With Windows, all programs are not made by Microsoft, and you tend to have a more wide array of companies, making this kind of program hard to make.

Though I guess this isn't true, if you consider it could be used to write keyboard commands in things, and move the mouse to select dialog boxes (though again, the program would have to be known to work though)

I think it's possible, because you can record macros to do things like that in Office under Windows...
It's just matter of Microsoft wanting to do it...

Would it have to be a Microsoft product? Surely a 3rd party company could make it, maybe open source to make it easier to add commands?

Kage, they have a free program out there. I ran across it not too long ago.I will try to relocate it for you. It is a tool that you use to start and stop programs and things of that nature. I think it is what you are looking for.

edit>Sorry Kage, I thought i had it posted on my computer, I know I talked about it with some others and all that. But I can't find it. Will give a more thorough search later.<

Kage said:
Mac can rely on this piece of software because most, if not all programs you use on one is made by Apple themseleves

Not really...

Microsoft Office... not by Apple
OpenOffice.. not by Apple
Alot of games.. ie The SIMS, not by Apple...
Adobe Photoshop..
Macromedia product line..

etc..

Not trying to put you on the low or anything.. im just giving in my thoughts.... so dont take it like i think your dumb or somethin, because i dont

Back
Top Bottom