nVidia GeForce 7800GTX

TRDCorolla1

Golden Master
Anyone here any news on that? What kind of challenge will it pose? Competition to ATi's answer to the R520? Perhaps the geforce 6800/GT? Need input. Heard rumors at work and try doing a search. Came up whole bunch of chinese symbols. Any input regarding this new product would be great.

good link. Let me repost some specs from the link above in case some of you are lazy to click on it:

Possible specs 7800GTX:
_0.11 micron process TSMC
_430Mhz core / 1.4GHz 256MB GDDR3 memory
_256-bit memory interface
_38.4GB/s memory bandwidth
_10.32Bps Fill Rate
_860M vertices/second
_24 pixels per clock
_400MHz RAMDACs
_NVIDIA CineFX 4.0 engine
_Intellisample 4.0 technology
_64-bit FP texture filtering & blending
_NVIDIA SLI Ready (7800 GTX only)
_DX 9.0 / SM 3.0 & OpenGL 2.0 supported
_G70 comes with 3 models; GTX, GT and Standard
_Single card requires min. 400W PSU with 12V rating of 26A
_SLI configuration requires min. 500W PSU with 12V rating of 34A
_Launch : 22nd of June

Those specs are crazy. Talk about hogging the power supply.

Those specs are probally not true , most places recon and so do i that its Nvidias plan to make ATi think they got it made and then Nvidia just crank up the Clocks & Maybe open some more pipes and leave ATi somewhere in there smoke . Don't quote me if i am wrong but you do remember that it leaked that the 6800 was 8x2 but really it was 16 . I think both companys are playing a game at the moment though.

Hmm...direct x- 9? I thought for example the new X-box is to use a Direct x-10 by Microsoft, so it seems a bit weird that a new card with all that power only has the capability of running 9, when 10 will come out in a while... but then, new cards will then probably come out better than this one with Direct-X 10...still bit weird though. I expected something like that.

Can someone answer a question. How better would that card be for example compared to two 6800 Ultras stacked in SLI? Would it be better than two stacked? or the same sort of power?

Hehe, that card stacked in SLI though...if you could even afford 2, and a new power supply probably too. That would be powerful!

Those are the correct specs and yes i do think it will compare to two 6800 ultras. BTW the r520 willown it, bugstyle!! The possibilty of 32 pipes, i cant wait!!

No, i think what it means is that those are the specs of that model, though it shows the others that are available too (as of that list).

The specs listed would only be for the 7800GTX model.

So the others would allow for SLI too, yet that list isn't for that card. Get me?

EDIT:

Even though this has more pipes, so would allow for more pipelines for rendering used for shaders and such, what I don't get is the fact that high class video cards of today are already able to run most games at the top res's at top settings. So the extra pipes, would this just make newer games be able to have more shaders?

Basically though, new games would take use of these extra pipelines, and so the card would only just be as good as a card of now, but with extra effects in games (though it'd of course run older games much faster than the latest cards do now)

But one thing that gets me, is even though it allows for more shaders, if a new Direct X version came out, and cards were made to have direct x-10, this card which is so powerful would miss out (it might not be that long)

Surely if this was made to support the new one (i'm sure xbox 2 was meant to have it), then those extra pipes would be given more use for the new games that arrive. So you'd end up with a great card, but you'd be missing out on some of the eye candy, even though this card would be about that! (being able to reach higher settings than before)

I mean it doesn't take that long for games to take use of new versions that have become available. 7 to 8, 8 to 9 for example.

Anyone have the same thoughts about this?

Back
Top Bottom