Straange noises

rdcmmnst

Daemon Poster
My dad's computer is making some very strange noises. I first thought it was his fan above his cpu. But i changed that and it still makes the noise. I took the case off and listened the noise seems to be coming right from the motherboard i checked the hard drive and it was not making any strange noises... and i checked in the power box. I'm at a loss.

I would be guessing that the motherboard is not firmly screwed into the case. Make sure all screws are fimly into the motherboard. I would also try disasembling the whole computer and putting it back together. That's a fairly simple task and it should make the noise go away.

try putting your finger into the fans to stop them spinning, I usually find that most strange moises are caused by worn bearing inside of fans...

unless the strange noises are a clicking sound in which case it's the hard disk.

i'm pretty sure it's not the hard drive. I'll try screwing the motherboard in. I'll try to narrow the noise down too. I just replied the fan so i'm guessing it's nto that.

but there is more than one fan?

I mean it might be the one in the PSU, or if you have one on the graphics card...

Is there by any chance a small fan on the motherboard? These tend to be very whiney if they are going.

EliteGamer is right in suggesting that it might be because its not in properly, as the CPU fan could be making the board vibrate :)

i found it... it was the one on the graphics board. Is there any chance that you can get just the fan replaced
that would be nice because he doesn't do any gaming and doesn't need to spend money on a whole new one. Living in russia my dad will probably just have one of his office guys find him a replacement i would just like to know.

Yeah, you can get new ones, though I'm not sure where or which ones would be compatable, since all video cards have different size fans and heatsinks, etc

hehe yeah, i'm sure someone working at an office would be stressed anyway, without being told that you can, but you'll have to do a bit of research too :p...oh well

Back
Top Bottom