Stupid Computer

a ounce a day

Baseband Member
My second hard drive is not showing up

i hooked up my second hard drive but when i click on my computer it is not there how do i make my second hard drive show up

spank_fusion said:
Also, many BIOSs auto-detect hardware and update accordingly. If you booted the computer without the drive, it might have removed it from its hardware list. Then what might have happened is when you booted with it plugged back in, the BIOS finished loading before the drive was spinning at full speed and ready to be recognized. The solution: boot the computer and restart without turning off. If restart isn't an option, just turn it off and back on as fast as you can so as to keep the hard drive spinning as fast as possible to make sure it is ready for when the BIOS scans the hardware again.

yay i fixed it the first time i went to put the new hard drive in i unplugged it to see if the old one was on cable select it was so my mistake right here i changed that to what i thought was master...............but i hooked my old hard drive up to my other computer and tried different pin settings and i found out that usually master is on the right then slave then cable select but on this hard drive master was on the right (old hard drive left to right new hard drive right to left) so it messed me up but now i got it working. but i got a new little problem now when i go to my computer the hard new hard drive does not show up but when i right click and go properties its there

you might try to partioning your drives unless you want each drive to show up as an individual one.

you'd have to ask the gurus here a question like that. this always works hereeee gurururururu haha just cause they're smart doesn't mean we can't make fun of them

hehe, you don't need a guru to help with stuff like that. New users can know just as much. We've just posted more since we've been on.

Partitioning can be done in two ways. Either by installing a partitioner which costs money, like partition magic, which will do it without re-installing windows.

On the other hand is the rather simple but also rather challenging option.

You have to format your drive first using the windows disc. Basically then, you are asked where you want to install windows (which will also create 1 partition on the drive. Every drive has 1 partition by the way, if it fills up all of it or not)

You then select to edit it (not sure on the key, but it says) and you half the full size available (i used a caluculator...) and then install it.

You'd then put the windows disc in again, and edit a new partition, using the other half of the drive.

The only problem doing it this way though is that you end up with two windows setups, though you could then format that partition that you don't want windows on within windows on the one you do want, to clear it.

This is done by right clicking My computer, and going to Manage. Then go to the disk management tab.

You can then select the partiton (would have become D) and right click it and select format.

You'd then have one windows setup, and two partitions :D

The only problem is that you have to backup all your data doing it that way, and then format to get it to work, since the original would have used all the drive.

I hope this helps :)

Crap Microsoft you couldnt make this harder lol, so i could burn all of my files and stuff to a dvd then format my drive which will delete everything so i wont end up with 2 windows setups then install windows 98 because i got the upgrade then i gotta install xp then sp 2

no,
If you are using the upgrade version you do not need to reinstall anything. You just need the original installation disc of the earlier version. When you insert the xp disc it will prompt to see the original disc and then go on with the install.

Back
Top Bottom