Dead server :(

The_Other_One

Daemon Poster
Any clue what might of happened? I'm going to look it over in just a minute... Basically, I had an older K6-533MHz computer running in my basement as a file/web server. I tried to access some files on it and nothing happened. I tried VNC, nothing. I tried to access the site, nothing! I went down stairs and flipped the monitor on to only get black. I cut it all off and back on. The HD doesn't spin up, the CD ROM won't eject, no video, etc... I guess the mobo just died in it...

It's not the end of the world if it died or if I lost what's on the HD as I have extra backups of everything, it's just a pain to have to set up yet another computer...

--EDIT--

LOL, the power light doesn't even come on anymore. This suckers DEAD! Oh well...

sounds like the PSU might have died...

try replacing that first, you could quite easily swap it out of the computer you have upstairs just as a test before you go and buy a new motherboard...

I think I do have an old Gateway 200watt laying around. That should work fine for that old system. I shall try it sometime...

I guess I was quick to assum the mobo, but I've seen dead ones with similar problems. IDE problems will prevent the drives from working. I didn't try them without IDE attached, but I wanted to get everything off that PS just in case it was the problem. They probably are dead by now if something was to happen, but oh well...

I tried it with my old power supply and it was SOOO dead. I'll have to check the volts on those power supplies I suppose just to be on the safe side, but I got noting from the mobo. No video, heck the screen didn't even flicker when I cut it on!

Luckly, the harddrive still works so nothing is lost. I forgot is was a WD drive too... I'd hate to loose one of those. I'd rather have my old 60G maxtor die than this 40G WD ^^;

Back
Top Bottom