Music download illegal

I know there has been alot of talk wether P2P file sharing is illegal or not. I would say that it is, but shouldn't be. You can download songs if you wish unless you are trying to sell the material. Also most stores don't carry the artist I like. If the record companies stopped charging $20.00 a CD, maybe we would stop downloading the music. What teenager has $20.00 for one CD that only has 1 good song. I think P2P sharing is perfectly legal. You can listen to music on the radio and record it, but it's illegal to download and listen to it?

Lets get this straight..

P2P and downloading ISN'T illegal. No court has ever said it was...What is Illegal is the copywrighted material that get transfered through it. Thats what get you into trouble. the material.

Yes. it's illegal to download and listen to it if you didn't pay for it.. You can record Radio stations and listen to it later without worry.. Radio stations pay a copywright and license fees for you so you dont have to worry about that. Stations like XM radio dont pay the fee yet. Thats why you have to pay a monthly subscription fee to use XM.

BuzzStPoint said:
Lets get this straight..

P2P and downloading ISN'T illegal. No court has ever said it was...What is Illegal is the copywrighted material that get transfered through it. Thats what get you into trouble. the material.

Yes. it's illegal to download and listen to it if you didn't pay for it.. You can record Radio stations and listen to it later without worry.. Radio stations pay a copywright and license fees for you so you dont have to worry about that. Stations like XM radio dont pay the fee yet. Thats why you have to pay a monthly subscription fee to use XM.

First of all. It is illegal to download music. People are getting sued from downloading songs. Why did all these people get sued from downloading music if it is legal? Also you said that the material is illegal. LOL... where do you get the material from? DOWNLOADING SONGS.

What is Illegal is the copywrighted material that get transfered through it

Read it before you get your undies in a bunch..

P2P networks orgianlly were never intended to transfer copywrighted material.. They way you make it sound, if you have a P2P program your risking sued.. Not so.. The network and download certain files IS NOT ILLEGAL!!! COPYWRIGHTED MATERIAL IS.

Have you really looked whats on P2P networks? Hey bud, theres more there then just illegal music and movies!!! Lots of information files if you need them..

OK...
just to repeat the point, file sharing through p2p is leagal...

file sharing copyrighted material (such as music, games, videos, ebooks, programs etc) is not legal.

recording songs from the radio onto cassete is also not legal. this is because Radio stations have a public broadcast license, and pay royalities on the premise that they are playing a track for public entertainment, not distributing the track, (since they would have to pay a lot more then)...

interestingly enough, it's also illegal to embedd copyrighted content in web pages, (including midi arrangements).

The music industry don't make yu pay $20 for a CD, and the do let you download a track (legally) for $0.99 (in america)

somehow the conversion worked out to £0.99 here in britain though...

I'd say that they are illegal and should be stopped, but you raised a good point. Most stores don't carry all music so where else can you get it?
Napster are good but don't have everything.
Ebay are also good.

Why stop the whole P2P network..

Since all files are comming though it. surely you can stop files that are copywrighted.. Not by files extention either.. Perhaps have a digital signature for the files that are hosted. This way the network woundn't allow this type of trading.

Hard for me to believe that you can scan and stop a virus in a network, but you cant scan for copywrighted material and stop that.

I guess either way, wouldn't effect me if all p2p networks went down.

It sounds good on paper..until you try to implement it. Think of all the audio / video / other ripped software that is already floating around on the internet. How can we add the "digital signature" to those, even to those transferred over smaller, less conspicious networks? If illegal P2P sharing is going to stop, its going to be up to the users to take the bull by the horns. Its very addictive too (file sharing, in my opinion). Who wouldn't like something for nothing (theoretically)? Its like Pringles! Once, you pop, you can't stop :p

very true.

But we have to start somewhere other than saying NO to all of them and shut them down one by one..

As for the software, you really cant really throw that into the mix.

Example. But I have over 100 dvd's (columbia house). Every single one of them are copied. The orginals are up in the closet. I have two children that have hard times putting away dvds and my ps2 games.. They get stepped on and crack. Now I'm out the 25 bucks for the dvd or 50 for the game. So I copy them. Now i have the orginals safe.

Another good point.. My mother went to California on a vacation. She took her portable dvd player and case.. While there, the van was broken into.. Stole the video camera, dvd player and case. The case had about 300 bucks in discs in it.. Gone..... Now if she listened to me and made a back ups, then it would have been no loss.

So the software issue is a tricky subject. I feel it shouldn't be a factor.

But I think we need to take steps to resolve it rather then closing it down.

BuzzStPoint said:
What is Illegal is the copywrighted material that get transfered through it

Read it before you get your undies in a bunch..

P2P networks orgianlly were never intended to transfer copywrighted material.. They way you make it sound, if you have a P2P program your risking sued.. Not so.. The network and download certain files IS NOT ILLEGAL!!! COPYWRIGHTED MATERIAL IS.

Have you really looked whats on P2P networks? Hey bud, theres more there then just illegal music and movies!!! Lots of information files if you need them..

I never said all files you download are illegal. I was talking about music downloadsand and thats it. I know some stuff you can download is legal. Such as new screensavers and other stuff. Maybe you should read more.

Back
Top Bottom