Upgrading my Vid. Card HELP!!

thr33

Solid State Member
Ok. I have a Dell that is a Pentium 4 2.00 MHZ. It has a Geforce 4 MX420 64 Mb in it. I am just wondering what kind of a video card I can put in it. I want to put in a Geforce 6600 256 Mb PCI Express 16x in but I don't know if my motherboard can take it. Is there anywhere I can look and see if it would work with my motherboard? Also I want to upgrade to USB 2.0, do I need a new motherboard to do this or is there a cheaper/easier way? Please help I really need to upgrade. Please give me suggestions. Thanks

thr33 said:
Ok. I have a Dell that is a Pentium 4 2.00 MHZ. It has a Geforce 4 MX420 64 Mb in it. I am just wondering what kind of a video card I can put in it. I want to put in a Geforce 6600 256 Mb PCI Express 16x in but I don't know if my motherboard can take it. Is there anywhere I can look and see if it would work with my motherboard? Also I want to upgrade to USB 2.0, do I need a new motherboard to do this or is there a cheaper/easier way? Please help I really need to upgrade. Please give me suggestions. Thanks
You desperation will lead to your downfall,please quote this .
I really need to upgrade
WHY ?
The Boss seems to be watching me.

welcome to the forum.
Without knowing exactly what motherboard you have makes it kind of hard to tell you if it is upgradable to to the use of a PCIe card. But I would venture that you can't. You stated that you have USB 1 in your system and that suggests that you have an older motherboard and does not even have a PCIe slot which is totally different than a PCI slot that you probably have. Here is a link to a utillity that will tell you exactly what the motherboard is that you have and you can post that info back in a bit and will look it up and tell you which upgrades are available for you in the video department.
everest: http://www.majorgeeks.com/download4181.html

Now you should be able to use a PCI USB2.0 insert card that will allow you to upgrade that part. You can't change USB1 to USB2 but the USB2 is backward compatable ....so your USB1 hardware can be used with it....but it will not increase the speed if that is what you are trying to do. 1.1 will remain the same no mater which plug you put it in.
Hope that helps

Thanks for the link to the program, I found out that I have 3 PCI expansion slots and 1 AGP. I'm going to look on newegg to see if I can get a good vid. Card to fit the AGP. Or do you think I should buy a whole new motherboard and get one with PCIe?

If you do that you might as well buy a new computer. I know for a fact that the MOBO that you have has only an AGP x 4 slot. SO therefore you wont benfit from an expensive card

I just looked on newegg and they have AGP motherboards but they are 4x/8x what does this mean and will they work with my motherboard? If I should buy a new motherboard how much will that run me?

you might want to get a pci e motherboard instead of the apg since it will make it easier to upgrade later on

If you buy a Pci express motherboard, you'll have

to change your processor...

Back
Top Bottom