ATTN BuzzStPoint - Web Page Question

XPUser1

In Runtime
When it comes to designing web page, I'm dumb. The only thing I am familiar with is HTML. Can you provide links (design and hosting) to help me out? My school's Alumni Association have asked me to design one for them.

Regards

What type of site do they want?

The newsites are starting to go with a portal style.. These protals are fast, efficient, and content rich. Plus with a click of a button features can be turned on and off.. With a little bit of web knowledge anyone can install one. It's the hacking and modifing that you need to know about this stuff. Like my site.. 40% of the site I have hacked code to make stuff fit and work the way I want it to.

For example. on my webpage the articles. I can write 10 articles at a time and have them activated to turn on at a certain time, and turn them off if I like.. Just reciently a member of my site just had a baby, I made an announcement and had it run for two weeks. Automatically turned on and then turned off.

I prefer CGi Or PHP style webpages. HTML is great, fast and right to the point and is good for certain websites. I made a website for my boss's dance camp. All HTML, java and Dhtml. For what she wanted This was the way to go.

I can further help if you let me know what area you are thinking about taking for the site.. As for hosting.

I use Lonex. You get a ton of services, bandwidth, space emails and domain name.. for 60 bucks a year.. If you decide to go with them use my refferr link.. (shameless plug)

Let me know.

Thanks for the idea Buzz. I'm still waiting for a reply from the assoc as to what kind of site they want. I believe they don't want their site to have the best bells and whistles but rather, something simplier with perhaps 10 links. The goal is to have someone (other than me) to update it maybe 2x/year, and perhaps monthly link for newsletter in pdf format. How do I begin (want to know in advance prior to the board meeting next week - I'm a boqard member anyway).

Well..

How about this..

http://ourealm.wisconsinnitro.com

This is a buddys site I poped up for him. I got it running and he told me the colors. All the content is menu driven and the whole site is Text based.. Low on resources, fast for loading and real easy to update.

Now remember.. The links and boxes and be turned off with a simple switch. Also the links on the left can also be put on the top, bottom.. Real easy to change

I used http://www.1asphost.com/ wich is free, 100mb of hosting for a small text link at the bottom, but there is a blank popup that comes up, it says nothing, im sure a person that knows anything about HTML better than me could remove it

BuzzStPoint said:
Well..

How about this..

http://ourealm.wisconsinnitro.com

This is a buddys site I poped up for him. I got it running and he told me the colors. All the content is menu driven and the whole site is Text based.. Low on resources, fast for loading and real easy to update.

Now remember.. The links and boxes and be turned off with a simple switch. Also the links on the left can also be put on the top, bottom.. Real easy to change

That site is exactly what I was thinking about. I wish I had a copy of this design and modify it to meet the assoc needs. One thing I did noticed...how is the login, password and usernames stored, accessed and cross-checked with what app?

TIA :=_

Techy Geek said:
I used http://www.1asphost.com/ wich is free, 100mb of hosting for a small text link at the bottom, but there is a blank popup that comes up, it says nothing, im sure a person that knows anything about HTML better than me could remove it

Thanks for this hosting site. I'm not sure if the 100mb space is big enough to accommodate PDF, JPG, HTML files. I'll keep this bookmarked as I proceed with the project.

I can zip up that site for ya if you like. and you can modify it if you like.

The user and passwords are stored in a memberlist type file.. The passwords are a hash so trying to break the hash is super tough..

The hosting needs to have CGI access.

Thanks Buzz. I've PMed you :)

BTW I'm not familiar with CGI access. Can you enlight me on what it is? Thanks

Back
Top Bottom