Overclocking

Marshillboy

In Runtime
CPU Overclocking

I know how to overclock CPUs, but where should I start, and which techniques should I use/start with?

You have to find out if your computer can overclock first. Whats your Motherboard?

I want to learn myself to :) but i dont have the fantest idea on over clocking, but i do know i have some good clocking matirial.

I don't know much about overclocking, but I know for sure that Pentium based machines are much easier to overclock that AMD based machines, but people tend to overclock as a sort of fun thing to do (experiment) and so AMD's give most people the thrill they want as its not as easy as 1,2,3.

I think that Pentiums can be overclocked by going into the bios and upping the Front Side Bus (FSB), which would in turn move everything else automatically to make it easier for you to get a stable processor.

You have to be very careful with this though, and going to high could damage your CPU completly, so make sure you know what you are doing before you try :)
Duzz, you might find it harder than Marshillboy, but research helps a mile in this sort of thing. Just scan for overclocking an AMD Athlon (AMD 64's are already unlocked so you can up it) and Pentium 4 based computer to build up research :)

I will try overclocking my 3500+ when I get more effective cooling, since the stock fan just doesn't cut it. So be careful about temperatures too. I also don't know much about overclocking so will need to do some researching myself :p

I hope this helps

Been doing all sorts of research the one thing that gets me is the Ram thats weird man. I AM aw struck when people say im running my ram at 2.2.2.2 yeah what the hell does that mean. How do i know whats going to work for me. Thats the hard thing. Everything is so based on someone elses computer that understanding is very hard to do.

Im running 32C right now I shouldnt have a problem with heat :) i built this machine with the intentsion of OCing it its not all that bad neither as soon as i figure out why a simpl 208x12 wont work for settings its only a 60 hz jump or something a 4% OC damn it i think its ram. Someday ill figure it out. When someone i know can do it and tell me how to do it. lol

Just be careful. I spent months saving up for my computer and managed to wreck it on the first day by overclocking it. It went and reset itself in a game and damaged the hard drive. So I had to buy a brand new one....

ouch :(

that 2.2.2.2 thing is RAM latency. I think the lower it is, the better the RAM is, and basically what it means is how many clocks or something of the CPU it takes to send data out. Each number represents something else... There was a link that had a kewl flash movie on it.

Yeah everything really can affect overclocking performance. I haven't tried to overclock mine really, but I know my motherboards capable because its meant to, and I know my CPU is. The only thing that might stop me from overclocking to a certain point will be my GeIl PC3200 RAM (the max the motherboard will support in speed) and I don't think that stuffs good for the serious overclocker.

I was prodding around on the internet and found a guy who got my processor up to 2.7 GHZ on stock cooling! Dont know how they do it...

I thought the maximum of the Athlon 64 series when overclocked was 2.6 (something about the core), whichever stock of Athlon you buy.

Which is why some people find it more cost effective to buy a 3000+ or 3200+ and just overclock it if they have some other good hardware too.

Plus with stock cooling, that thing would be too hot... Mine gets to 50 degrees at stock speeds (2500+ running at 2.2Ghz). I doubt that would have been possible...

Back
Top Bottom