Forum Etiquette for CN?

I may be a bit to new to throw my input on this subject. But comming from a person who built, administered and moderated message boards.

A set of rules is a good idea with a few exceptions.

One. They must be follow and enforced, but the mods must follow a set practice and not be harder on one then the other.

Two.. A good solution to help everyone out. And I have done this in the past. make one forum, just for complainers, rants and so on.. Allow people in this forum complain about anything.. knowing that the post will be about other things than a direct attack on a person in the forums. This has worked well in the forums I have set up and maintained. Then Then also I have coded the forum that that section was deleted weekly. No mess no fuss.

Just my penny thoughts.

BuzzStPoint said:
Two.. A good solution to help everyone out. And I have done this in the past. make one forum, just for complainers, rants and so on.. Allow people in this forum complain about anything.. knowing that the post will be about other things than a direct attack on a person in the forums. This has worked well in the forums I have set up and maintained. Then Then also I have coded the forum that that section was deleted weekly. No mess no fuss.

Just my penny thoughts.

i like the idea's of everyone's input, i do have to say that The 3-strike rule is a must, i also like the idea of buzz's point made too, on the separate forum for debates/ and rants, but as for the complaints. i still think those should remain in the report a thread sequence.

The fact that the rules link is at the bottom is a good start, but like seti said needs to be where people are ready to join..at the top.

Did this get forgotten???

Althought it may never see the light of day it may serve as a guide to others about behavour in here. Some body type something up. I'm going to crash for a while. I'll be back...

I didn't evenknow there were rules!!! I just assumed we used common sense!!

I have a coulpe of things that I wanted to point out though...

there is a rule...
You may use a second account. Abuse of this will result in a ban

people are bing banned for making multiple accounts, (abuse or no abuse) but the rules do allow this, or is it a typo?...

and...
back in the 'good ole days' well last year when I joined anyway, there was quite a lot of stuff about hacking, it was pretty much common place to discuss hacking and the techniques used, so much so that many users wrote tutorials...

(I know that I wrote a guide ot website hacking posted in the hacking/security section) -though I did ask first if I was allowed and was told yes.
I also wrote a step by step guide to completing a hacking tutorial for a hacking game site, (fair enough the game site is controlled, but the techniques are as close to real as you can realistically be taught and tested on -the site was www.try2hack.nl)...
but now we don't do that...

there is no warning in the rules about helping to give out information on illegally obtaining programs or MP3s, either through warez sites, or file sharing programs, but again we don't do that...

I don't have a problem with rules (rage against the machine!!), but if rules are in place they need to be properly stated and easily available, the dark blue link on a dark blue background practically camoflages the rules link, I had to search for a good minute or so before I actualy found it!

multiple accounts...

This rule has been superceeded by a common agreement between the mods and the admin. In such cases as the member has been suspended or banned and has returned to the forum using another name, the names have been banned permantly. You'll find in these cases the member has already been dealt with and is returning to continue what they got admonished for in the first place. If a member has multiple accounts and are behaving themselves then we have no reason to investigate the member. But members with multiple accounts are usally up to no good and eventually give us cause for concern.

As for hacking if you read under the subforum title off the main page it clearly states >>>
Security/Hacking (5 Viewing)
Discussion on security issuses/hack attacks and security consulting. Please note that we can't active promote, discuss hacking scripts with ilegal intentions.
Now for the most part it doesn't take Albert Eistien to figure out what the member is up to and it becomes a banning offence. Activation codes is another cause for concern. Asking for or offering is a serious no no also.

For the most part things in here that are cause for concern are judgement calls. But with a firm set in stone rules of behavour the members are made aware of what is a no no and what's going to happen if they break a rule. It would also give the mods a break in having to make judgement calls. I'm human and as such will make errors some times. I see this as a way to take the load of the mods and make the members aware.

Bump...

Shameless bump...

We need to get back on this thing.
We're needing some rules amended and modified.

This should be incorporated into the rules...

You should be aware that children 13 years and younger are allowed to post here. So do not post messages or link to other sites containing material that is obscene, profane, or sexually-explicit.

boiler plate model...

WELCOME TO COMPUTER FORUMS

1> You should be aware that children 13 years and younger are allowed to post here. So do not post messages or link to other sites containing material that is obscene, profane, or sexually-explicit.
Violation of this rule will be delt with swiftly and harshly.

2> Profane language or rude behavior in threads is not conduct we like to see. Just think of how you want to be treated and act accordingly. Remember your post is seen by young people and visitors from all over the world. Let's put our best foot forward.

Back
Top Bottom