Apple announces shift to Intel chips from IBM

jay8990

Daemon Poster
http://uk.news.yahoo.com/050606/80/fkj3m.html

Apple Computer Inc. on Monday said it will shift to using Intel Corp. microprocessors in its Macintosh computers, severing its long relationship with International Business Machines Corp., which had supplied chips to Apple.

Apple said it will begin delivering Macintosh products using Intel microprocessors, the number-crunching nerve centers of personal computers, by this time next year and will have all of its flagship Macintosh computers using Intel processors by the end of 2007.

How do Intel manage it? AMD have been ahead in the game for ages (with their 64's) and yet Intel still manage to keep money rolling in? I guess all their contracts with Dell etc.. help.

yes. read about it in the morning paper!
Apple has a lot of work cut out for them to convert from IBM to the Intell chip. How much do you want to bet on whether or not their be a few amd conversions also?

well there goes apple! whoo hooo! good riddance. now they will just be another pc company! good. hope they quit sicne they are polluting young minds with apple ipod "hip" ness.

athlon64fx said:
well there goes apple! whoo hooo! good riddance. now they will just be another pc company! good. hope they quit sicne they are polluting young minds with apple ipod "hip" ness.

lol, sorry dont have any particular to say, too busy laughing

edit thought of something: dunno about the amd conversions. intel will probably write it into contract that they cant or something! (of course it will be on the last page of the contract size 0.5 font under the bit labelled "Legal garbage - not for Apple to read")

they probally will jay thats just like intel i think intel is better at getting people to sign for them i think amd should have got it but o well who am in those discissions

by the way wut was wrong wit the ibms chip or did the contract just end

compgek said:
by the way wut was wrong wit the ibms chip or did the contract just end

again from yahoo news...

Apple has publicly expressed frustration with IBM as a supplier in recent quarters. IBM had problems producing enough working versions of its PowerPC 970 chip, which Apple calls the G5. Also, IBM has yet to produce a version of the G5 that consumes less power and would be suitable for use in Apple's laptop personal computers.

The reason they have gone with Intel is because AMD cant really supply the way OEM's need. Jobs will still have memorys of Motorola and he needs to be assured of consistancy. Intel may nothave the top spot in terms of preformance, but they're close, and they're not going anywhere soon.

EDIT: I think the main thing that pushed this desicion (and its been planned for years) to happen now is Apple has been unable to aquire a G5 cool and efficent enough to fit the Powerbook range. They need updating, and Intel is last but good soulution to the problem.

Back
Top Bottom