building a pc........from scrap parts

dirtyoldman

Baseband Member
hi, Just to boost my 'pc parts' knowlage I would like to use any old pc parts and build a working pc (btw I dont expect it to do anything impressive but its just mainly for knowlage!) A few things that I am concerned of are that parts will not be compatible and because I will want to put a wee bit more ram onto it I won't know what to get because I wont know the model of the pc the motherboard origonally came from.

If there is any info you can give me regarding my concerns, or anything else to do with building a comp then please supply!

Thanks!

I think that you'll learn faster if you buy some

inexpensive new parts, because the motherboard

comes with a manual...

and DDR memory has better price than old SDR...

But...

if you already have the components, give us a description...

well I was planning on collecting from reletives and friends ect but I suppose if the new parts are relitively cheap I could buy some :D

get your friends and relatives to donate the computers and then try to get them working as they are. Post for all the help neccessary. This will allow you to see the various differences first hand as to what is what. and how systems interact with certain operating systems and what conflicts arise.

Only get the parts from friends if you know exactly what they are as far as CPU socket type, CPUs supported, Ram type, etc. etc. If your unsure just buy a few cheapy parts because if all you want to do is type, have internet access, and play minesweeper you might not even go over a hundred bucks. Heck probably not even over fifty if you get some parts from friends.

Overall it seems like a fine idea. If it doesn't work it doesn't work. It's not like you bought the new Radeon X850 with like 512Mb of ram without a warrenty then dropped it and broke it.

Is this going to be the first computer you will have built??

yes this will be the first computer I will have built and it is purely to get a first hand experience with computer parts and fitting it all in. And also like lurkswithin said seeing how "systems interact with certain operating systems and what conflicts arise."

yeah, u gotta be careful cuz if you dont you'll end up with this

http://www.computerforums.org/showthread.php?t=15713

:( >:| :mad: >:{ !!!>:-0!!!

but hey at least your using parts that if they break it's not end of the world. You get experience. All i get are headaches and temper tantrums.

Oh ya, me forgot. Just to let you know when your putting your computer together (at least with me), some of the parts aren't exactly to measure with holes and things and you need to use the force... Not too much though. I had a hard time putting my motherboard in my case because some of the holes barely lined up. Took some struggling but i got it in there ok.

Good Luck

I wish i had it.

Back
Top Bottom