Report: Apple switching to Intel chips

Methost

In Runtime
Im not a mac guy ... but found this interesting anyway ...

Monday, June 6, 2005

By GREG SANDOVAL
ASSOCIATED PRESS

SAN FRANCISCO -- A stormy, decade-long relationship between Apple Computer Inc. and IBM is over, according to published reports. Apple CEO Steve Jobs is expected to announce Monday morning at the company's software developers conference in San Francisco that Apple will discontinue using microprocessor chips made by IBM in favor of Intel chips, according to CNET Networks Inc.'s News.com and The Wall Street Journal.

Officials from Apple, Intel Corp. and International Business Machines Corp. could not be reached Sunday to confirm the report.

For years, rumors of Apple's wish to jump to Intel have been circulating. But two weeks ago, analysts were skeptical when The Wall Street Journal reported that Intel and Apple were in negotiations.

One reason for the skepticism is that the move represents a significant risk for Cupertino, Calif.-based Apple.

Switching to Intel's x86 chips would force Apple's programmers to rewrite its software in order to adapt to the new processor.

"I don't know that Apple's market share can survive another architecture shift," Insight 64 analyst Nathan Brookwood told News.com. "Every time they do this, they lose more customers."

News.com reported that Apple would begin the transition to Intel with its lower-end computers, such as the Mac Mini, in mid-2006 and higher-end models a year later.

Apple's break with IBM stemmed from Jobs' wish that IBM make a larger variety of the PowerPC processors used in Macintosh systems. IBM balked because of concerns over the profitability of a low-volume business, News.com reported.

By wrestling away Apple's business from IBM, Intel tightens its stranglehold on the PC processor business. The company holds more than an 80 percent share of the market.

Although IBM suffers a setback with the loss of Apple, the company could reap a financial windfall from deals with Microsoft, Nintendo and Sony Corp. to put microprocessors it is producing in next-generation video-game consoles.

A new microprocessor that IBM co-developed with Sony and Toshiba Corp, code-named Cell and planned for Sony's next PlayStation console, is being touted as capable of delivering 10 times the performance of today's PC processors.

Hmm that is interesting. I bet people will start complaining too, and the fact all software would have to be re-written.
Intel wil become very powerful then indeed if it grabs hold of that market too...

Don't know if thats good news or bad news for Apple Macs (I dont really favour Apple though)

Does that mean the Apple software would become compatible with PC, or would they still be uninterchangeable.

Hmm, thats a good thought... Apple might actually become a PC manufacturer in those terms in that case, since things would be backward compatable.

Though Apple does use the Mac operating system, and so the programs would not be compatable with Windows in the way you're thinking.

I thought I read the Intel was going to make a Mac based chip but there were also rumours that Mac was going to switch to x86. I know that they were thinking of going with Intel after Motorolla but Jobs went with IBM. It will be interesting nonetheless. This is probaly a push to make their computers cheaper.

Anyone else find it odd that in IBM's PC's they use Intel chips instead of makin there own.... Shows a lot about their confidence in Chip manufacturing. This might be great for Apple. I don't like Apple though (I'm sorry but I can't stand fan boys.)

hehe yeah. It will definitley be interesting, thats for sure :p We'll just have to wait and see.

The BBC Confirms its true

Apple will be switching to the x86 archutecture using Intel chips. I have not heard news of wether these will be off the self Pentiums, Modified Pentiums, or a totaly new chip.

I expect the OS will continue to be used but I'd expect Apple to restrict its use only to "Macintosh" PC's, ether by motherboard firmware, or as above chip diffrences.

appleintel.gif

I'm sure workarounds will be found very quickly though. It will be an interesting development to watch.

I just watched attack of the show on G4TechTV and from what it sounds like it will be in competeing with Windows.

It wont be, I havent seen any official word, but I really dont see Apple doing this, at least not right away.

Back
Top Bottom