wozelbeak

Daemon Poster
my task manager shows these two items using:
1)24,932k
2)37,056

is this odd??
i have some suspicions about this.
woz

Hmm, Explorer seems normal since this is what runs the windows UI and stuff, and I've checked on mine, and it uses 30 odd meg.

As for IExplorer, i loaded that up, and got 27 meg, so it doesn't seem bad at all. It can differ because of a few things you see (like what you have open) so don't worry. They all seem fine to me :)

cheers kage,
i haverecently put a p4 ht 3.006 ghz proscessor into my p.c.
i had a p4 2.6 in it before that.
i think that the introduction of the new cpu has actualy slowed down my p.c performance.
occasionaly, while i have a few internet sites open at the same time i get real slow responses to commands. i can switch from one site to another,but it takes like 10 seconds to change pages! i look at the explorer.exe and it is using around 52 under the cpu collum in the task manager. it is only corrected when i re boot the computer.
i have scanned with avg, adaware, spybot all giving me a clean bill of health.
i have also ran registry mechanic.
woz
any ideas

Hmm... bit weird. 52% usage? When i'm on the internet, listening to music, and chatting to mates, i get about 13% usage, so its a bit weird its going as high as that!

Could it be your internet connection though?
If its a slow connection, of course, you'll get a slower speed and so pages will take longer to load and commands won't be delt with straight away.

Turn off the internet and put music on for example, and check the percentage. Then turn the internet back on and check the usage. Whats it like with music playing, but just not the internet?

I have a feeling maybe your internet connection itself is using alot of resources. This could be because maybe your using an in-built modem of some kind that came with your motherboard?

If your not happy with the results from this, call your ISP. They'll hopefully be able to issue out a card that will fit into a PCI port (or find a compatable one) and use your connection.

A card in a PCI slot you see meant for the job won't use precious CPU time while surfing.

I hope this helps

no, i got 1meg broadband.
i have a d-link router, and had no problems before i changed the cpu. i play music while playing call of duty uo online with no problems.
could it be possible that i have a virus or worm that my programmes can't detect? they are all up to date. i have also noticed that when i open the task manager there is a slight flicking of the screen. i can only see this while the task manager is open??
woz

No i seriously doubt it, though I guess its not impossible, though i woudn't think so :p

The flickering of the screen would just be caused by the window updating many times a second to view the current CPU cycles and memory usage, etc, so don't worry about that.

Hmm, just out of something I learnt today, go into Bios, and check if there is a HT (Hyper Threading) option on your CPU. Disable it if its enabled and see if this helps. I doubt it will though, its just something I've heard today :p
If it doesn't make a difference, just re-enable it.

(Del to enter Bios usually by the way)

I hope this helps, though that second bit is only a suggestion.

thats a good idea i will try that.
im not sure if i made it clear that it does not happen all of the time. it has only occured when i have six or seven sites open at once. i think it could be something to do with ht.
woz

Yeah, it could be :p
1mb broadband still has a limit of what it can process you know, hehe.
The memory usage I guess isn't that bad at all for one that has 16 open at once by the way.

i disabled the ht tech in the bios.
i have noticed that iexplorer.exe has vanished from the task manager, is that strange?
explorer.exe is still there and showing 00 on the cpu usage.
woz

Back
Top Bottom