Apple switching over to x86 from PowerPC

iamroot

Daemon Poster
I'm sure many of you guys have heard the news. What do you think? Is it a right move?

Apple to intel

Wow, when i first heard that apple was switching to intel i was shocked!

At least processor uprades will be much simpler and easier to come by.

i think that it was not a good move, because a lot of mac fans swiched because of the macs diferentness. Oh well.

btw are you an apple fan?

I like both Pcs and Macs

I'm not a mac fan but I know a few people who are. I personally think that the move is good for consumers but bad for the company. I mean, Apple has been boasting for years bout how good the PowerPC chip is as compared to the inferior and primitive Intel chip. And now, they're gonna use Intel chips.

downloading my copy now. cant wait to install it on my system at home. I've heard mixed reasons on why it will and will not work on an AMD system...i guess ill get my definant answer when i try.

os x 10.4 tiger for x86, it "leaked" out. I think apple meant to do it to try and gain some of the pc crowd, we'll see how this goes though.

ba ha ha ha ha...

so it seems the intel IS better than the powerPC???
damn you mac fan boys, I was right all along!!!

seriously though, IBM don't have the facilities to produce in enough volume, they can make the chips cheap enough, or heat friendly, they are high capacity, but also high power.
they arn't suitable for mobile devices.

this is a move as far as I can see to get macs back into buisiness machines, Mac already own the designers world, now I see them struggling to make a decent laptop,

There's not much point imho of downloading any of the big cat os's since you'll still be running them on a PC.

If you want a mac just use Linux and a mac alike skin, (thats basically all Mac OS will be now anyway... -just another Unix clone running on an intel platform...

I can understand why Apple wants to do this but it's taking a huge risk. Apple is having pohenomenal success. It's share price is soaring and it's sales are great. I think Apple feels it's time to get out of the niche market and try to steal market share from the mainstream market. The odds are pretty high on both sides. If Apple succeeds, it could go back to it's formal glory. If it fails, well... But it should be pretty interesting to see how OS X fares against Windows and GNU/Linux. We already have the browser wars, enter the OS Wars. 2005 is gonna be a really interesting year for the industry.

hmm, I think that it's unlikely that Apple will release it's OS to the standard beige box,

it's also unlikely that apple zellots will want a beige box over their swichly designed apple boxes.

A big parts of apples success is that they have been so neich, they have a really stable OS, but a big part of that success is that they controll all the hardware,
I mean if microsoft could personally test every piece of hardware and then write the drivers for it I'm sure there would be a lot less problems.

It could be that apple are bitting off more than they can chew here.

The OS is already leaked, and people are installing it to regular x86 machines, how long before people start searching for exploits, how long before they are found?
I mean Mac have something of an unhackable reputation.

How long before someone decides to write drivers for their wintel USB modem, how long before others follow suit,
after that how long before we start to see blue screens of death?

leaving the comfort of designing their own chips and motherboards might just be too much of a bold step, Apple could see themselves in serious trouble...

or of course I might be wrong.

Apple has stated that OS X will only run on Apple x86-64 machines. I think it's clear that all the hackers out there will find a way to get it to run on standard x86-64 machines. If they can come up with PPC emulators that allow PPC OSX to run on GNU/Linux and Windows, how difficult can this be?

The main contention here is that Apple has been boasting bout the PPC over the Intel for years now. The PPC chip is also the main justification for the high prices of Apple computers as compared to their PC counterparts. Now that this justification is gone, how will Apple get people to pay high prices for low-end hardware when they can get far superior configurations in a PC for the same price.

I don't think security will be an issue when OSX goes over to the Intel. It is still the same OS. Just different platform. As for crackers starting to take a serious interest in OSX, that will only happen if Apple achieves its goal to hit mainstream and that's still yet to be seen.

Back
Top Bottom