screen went blank

csnudelman1

Solid State Member
AOpen AK79D-400VN motherboard, AMD 3000XP cpu. Increased fsb (rated at 166) to 180 something. Now monitor does not respond and the light that would blink when the hard drive was in action now just stays on. Did I damage the mother board or the cpu or both? Advise? Thanks.

First off, welcome to CF! You overclocked, and I know overclocking can wear down your specs, but I've never heard of it just shutting down totally the monitor and the light to your hard drive. Is it onbaord video or a video card? And what do you mean, the monitor does not respond? Is it still on, like you can see a screen or is just totally blank? That's an older cpu, but I doubt you've damaged it. Considering fsb is for the cpu, you've could've damaged it. But I'm not quite sure. Maybe others can pitch in.

Were you changing the fsb in the bios?
If so unplug all the plugs from the PSU to the motherboard and drives.. then remove the battery from the mobo and wait about 10 minutes and it should reset every thing back to default settings.
keep us posted

Is it just me? Or do the Athlon XP models have a locked Front Side Bus, and need pencil marks to unlock?

It is very dangerious though to overclock if you dont know what you are doing. Some motherboards for example, like ABIT usually have overclocking tools, and when you overclock too high, it resets the computer and restores back.

If your computer can't do this, it might be that your CPU is stuck at that rating and can't reset by itself if you did it within the bios

HOW TO FIX:

To fix this, either take out the bios round battery for a few hours or so (this will probably fix it since it'll reset it)

or if your motherboard has a CMOS MEMORY HEADER which is a jumper like on a hard drive (check the manual), you can move this to another position to reset it, and then just move it back after a minute or so. (Its in different places on every motherboard if you have one. it makes the job easier anyway, and resets it almost straight away)

This is what one looks like:

http://www.ocprices.com/ben/NF7S/jumper.jpg

Hopefully you'd then turn on the PC to find everything booting up normally, since the bios would have held the FSB limits you'd set.

I hope works and so helps.

006 wrote "but I've never heard of it just shutting down totally the monitor and the light to your hard drive. Is it onbaord video or a video card? And what do you mean, the monitor does not respond? Is it still on, like you can see a screen or is just totally blank?"

The monitor's (and I have tried 4) yellow/orange light comes on but not the green one and the screen is as if it were shut off. Thr light for the hard drive does come on but just stays on, it shows no activity. It has a video card. Hope this helps.

lurkswithin said:
Were you changing the fsb in the bios?
If so unplug all the plugs from the PSU to the motherboard and drives.. then remove the battery from the mobo and wait about 10 minutes and it should reset every thing back to default settings.
keep us posted
The bios can be reset useing the keyboard and arrows in bios options.Save your solder for the drain pipes.But i'm not saying to do that.Default settings aren't always the answer if changes where made for your components.
Bad advice lurks.
:D

I will pick up my computer from the shop tomorrow and try the above advice. I guess AOpen's "CMOS Data Clear Jumper" is the same thing as "CMOS MEMORY HEADER"? Thanks everyone, I will keep you posted.

Yeah that will be the same :) Must be for ABIT motherboards way of naming it :p

Hope it helps

Back
Top Bottom