Not able to access some websites....other are ok

timdog4life

Solid State Member
I'm having a very strange problem where I'm not able to access some basic web sites. Namely google, gmail and hotmail. Hotmail I'm able to get to the sign in screen and then when I try to log in it tells me it cant find the server.

But I can get on to other sites like this one and yahoo.....

Then when I rebooted I couldnt get the computer to load even in safe mode. It kept saying there was a problem with the master boot record, yet I could boot into 98 (I'm running a dual boot of 98 and XP pro)
So I reinstalled XP and got back online, but still no difference.

I'm running Avast antivirus and mircrosoft antispyware and they both insist there's nothing wrong....

Any ideas?

I connect to the internet via a linksys wireless card and router from my other computer which is suffering the same problems. Neither computer is showing a virus and the only thing out of the ordinary is the inability to access certain web sites.

I already uninstalled and reinstalled the wireless PCI card but that made no difference

running a virus scan is not the only issues that you should be addressing. Malware and spyware will not be shown in a virus scan, free and work great: down load these and update them then run them one after tha other and seriously clean your system.
spywareblaster: http://www.majorgeeks.com/download2859.html
spybot search and destroy: http://www.majorgeeks.com/download2471.html
adawareSE: http://www.majorgeeks.com/download506.html
crapcleaner: http://www.majorgeeks.com/download4191.html
let us know when you have cleaned out your system and we will go from there.

timdog4life said:
I'm having a very strange problem where I'm not able to access some basic web sites. Namely google, gmail and hotmail. Hotmail I'm able to get to the sign in screen and then when I try to log in it tells me it cant find the server.

But I can get on to other sites like this one and yahoo.....

Then when I rebooted I couldnt get the computer to load even in safe mode. It kept saying there was a problem with the master boot record, yet I could boot into 98 (I'm running a dual boot of 98 and XP pro)
So I reinstalled XP and got back online, but still no difference.

I'm running Avast antivirus and mircrosoft antispyware and they both insist there's nothing wrong....

Any ideas?

I connect to the internet via a linksys wireless card and router from my other computer which is suffering the same problems. Neither computer is showing a virus and the only thing out of the ordinary is the inability to access certain web sites.

I already uninstalled and reinstalled the wireless PCI card but that made no difference
Click this and post the results in the address bar.
www.google.com
But really you give up and restart everything too quick to learn
Relax and wait for answers.p's
Use Medium Security.

ok, completed all of the above downloads....ran all the programs.

I did find a few extra things that microsoft antispyware failed to pick up. But I'm still unable to get to google. Not that this is a major ordeal, I'm just annoyed and would really like to figure out what went wrong.

Thanks for the previous suggestions....do you have any others?

I'm using mozilla firefox as my brower and it keeps telling me this document contains no data when I attempt to bring up the page.

timdog4life said:
ok, completed all of the above downloads....ran all the programs.

I did find a few extra things that microsoft antispyware failed to pick up. But I'm still unable to get to google. Not that this is a major ordeal, I'm just annoyed and would really like to figure out what went wrong.

Thanks for the previous suggestions....do you have any others?
One more time,what appears in the address bar when as you say
"can't get to google "?
I want to go there too.
Lets hang out together.ok

ok, I wiped xp off my other computer (the one with the router) and reinstalled. Everything works fine now. Not sure what went wrong, whether it was a virus or one of my brothers ended up changing a setting somewhere.

Thanks for the suggestions. those are good programs that I will be using on my now clean system.

The IPfix download from cexx normally repairs the winsoc which is damaged when getting issues such as you have. The issue is normally caused from the deletion of spyware/malware to begin with, thus my wanting to make sure you had a clean system. As it was that you used firefox,(to be honest) I am not possitive that it would have been helpful.
Just glad that you got it taken care of.

Back
Top Bottom