Appearing on others buddy lists in AIM

Jupsat

Beta member
I have a primary AIM screenname which I have had for the past six years and have never had a problem with it. Yesterday I created another screenname and logged on under the new name. Throughout the course of yesterday and today I have received 6 IMs from random people saying that my new screenname appeared on their buddy list and that they had no idea who I was. Knowing that I didn't know them either I was wondering what caused this to happen. Since it was a new screenname there is no way they would have had it before it was created. I got everyone from a 13 year old boy in NC to a 24 year old guy in VA. Does anyone know what is going on and how I can fix it? Please help!

Someone you know has been forwarding your aim messages to other people would be my first guess. Or they are sending their messages to a lot of people at one time and is just automatically being posted as a contact...similar to email. But I admit that that is the first time I have ever heard someone complain about it.
My second guess on this would be that your system has been hijacked and they are using your screen name to spam with.

Back
Top Bottom