Defragment problems

northwings

Baseband Member
Alright my drive is very heavly fragmented, and I want a program that will run a degragment till I get down to .0 fragments, It's a pain to keep clicking "defragment" on my diskeeper program, and I tried to make a schedual but it doesn't do it in minutes, anyone know of a program where I can just set it to "defrag till [percent here]" or defrag till I tell it to stop ?

Have you tried using the Windows Defrag?

Accessories, System Tools, Disk Defragmenter?

It might still take a while though, and if its fully fragmented, it could take a couple of hours so just leave it over night and it'll be done.

I don't think there is a defragmentator that will only defrag a certain percent, stop, and then allow you to start again when you want. This would cause problems with the drive I would assume, and is just best to do it overnight when you probably wouldn't be using it.

It might also be best to go into safemode to run it to, to defrag better since less programs will be interfering with it:

To do this, just press F8 at startup once you reset and go to Safe Mode.

I hope this helps :)

The thing is, I go to defrag and it only takes like 15 minutes, and I have to do it over and over again.

Hmm, try going to Safe mode like i stated in the last post.
You might find some of the hard drive is being used and can't be defragged when running Windows in full mode.

At least in safe mode, less will be running and using the hard drive so it'll defrag farther.

At least try it :)

I hope this helps

I don't understand as to why you must keep doing it over and over. Why is it not defragging to begin with.?
Have you used the diskcleanup tool to clean and compress your files first?
if not then it may take a long while for the disk to be compressed but just let it run its, course.
start>programs>accessories>system tools>diskcleanup and just check all the boxes then select the options tab and select to remove all the system restore except the last restore points then select ok and ok on out . When that gets done then do your defragging.

Alright after almost a full day of searching and trying out a few programs perfectdisk 7 worked VERY well, and it actualy defragmented my entire drive, instead of doing it in small portions like diskeeper did for some reason.

Yeah, perfectdisk and diskeeper are by FAR the best, I had serious fragmentation trouble until them...

Back
Top Bottom