Disk drive

mnikraysktiyttm

In Runtime
My Computer doesnt show the disk drive icon, and Windows Media Player doesnt reconize it either, I had it yesterday, then I lost it, I dont know what happened, anyone know?

Hmm... could you possibly try System Restore. All new windows operating systems have it.

Find it in Start, Accessories, System Tools, System Restore.

Say to go back to a point, and hopefully your computer was set to make them once every few days, so go back to the newest one and hit okay.

You'll lose some of the registry though, so if you installed any programs up to that date, they wouldn't have deleted, but they won't be in the start menu nd might nto run right, etc. but documents and things will still be all fine, so dont worry.

Hopefully when the computer boots back up, it'll be there again, and hopefully will stay that way :)

To check settings of System Restore, go to Start, Settings, Control Panel, and then to System, and finally to the System Restore tab.

Here you can select drives you want it to monitor and create spaces for so you can revert back, and clicking settings allows you to select the disk space to use on creating them (put it as high as you can if its a big drive as you wont be sorry doing this)

To clear unwanted restore points your computer has made over the coming years you can select to turn off system restore, and then switch it back on again which would wipe all of them its created. Don't do this before reverting back though, and I think it deletes old ones automatically anyway :p

So good luck, and I hope this erm...s.a helps :)

oh :( In that case, i'd advise giving system restore a bit more hard drive access to create some more restore points using the step above.

Hmm...i wonder what could be the issue with it though.

When you restart your pc, does it recognise the drive in bios as it lists them?

If so, its windows, but if it doesn't recognise it, you'd have gotten a lose connection, and you should open up the pc and check for any leads on the drive and motherboard that have loosened.

If it does recognise it, then go to Start, Settings, Control Panel, and to System. Then go to the Hardware tab, and to Device Manager.

Go to DVD/CD ROM drives, and press the plus to open it up. Does it recognise it there?

If not, try going to the Control Panel, and to Add/Remove Hardware. make it do a search for it to install it, and hopefully windows will find some drivers appropiate for it.

NOTE: Though, you did say it happened the day before, and you said it goes back a couple of days. This should be far enough and should bring it back surely if you tried one...

I hope this helps

Thanks, I tried restore one more time after that post and i found a point last month that I didnt see, but if it happens again, I'll try to remember that site, thanks for the help.

Back
Top Bottom