help plz

IAMJEEBUS

Solid State Member
i hav a reaaaallly old packard bell. on the label on its back, it says legend mm 933 cn. However, i cannot find the memory modules required 2 upgrade this computer. I hope 2 turn this computer into an open source linux/unix after several upgrades. Plz help me find the correct memory, and if possible, include possible motherboard, hard disk, ethernet card and processor upgrades. thx in advance.

REAL old...

That's so old it doesn't show up on a google search. I would venture a guess that's a 33mhz system and finding parts for it is going to be a major pain. I'm at work now but if I spot anything I'll post back.

thx, sry 4got system specs...

its got about 48 megs of ram currently and runs at 133 mhz

gah its a hassle... even on ram choosing sites the 933 isn't shown...

I hate to say it but some computers are just so old you just gotta get a new one. You can build a good system that'll lost you for a while for about 500 or 600 bucks. I mean 133 mhz is what we overclock without trying. And 48 megs of ram. Most programs take 2x that at least.

I have to guess that it would take SIMM ramm, I usually can find it in a bunch of old comps, because i repair school computers sometimes, and i just have to laugh at how old some of these things are. I remeber seeing one the other day, it was an old compaq, it had 32mb of ram, a 1/2mb PCI video card, 300mb HD, ran at 66mhz normally, and @ 100mhz when the "turbo" button is pressed in. I would try finding SIMM ram, I think you can still buy it from tigerdirect.
heres a link to a page of simm ram...
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/Category/category_slc.asp?CatId=148

Do you have a good budget to try and find and spend on the old parts? Because, like Niko said, if you have at least 500, or actually i have seen 400, you can buy a brand new computer, with windows xp and all. And then you convert to open source linux/unix. What OS does it have? Windows 3.1? lol...

im thinking of buyin a new dell (bout 349 all crappy n stuff...) but the thing is, im already thinking of buying a new dell, customized, and its bout 1200. im kinda under budget 2, itll b hard nuff 2 buy this 1. is it possible 2 run both linux/unix and windows on the same machine? i have knoppix and that runs well as an open source os, but i think bsd wud work better and have more capabilities... so, is it possible (lol noob question) 2 run both linux or unix and windows on the same computer?

edit: sry 4 got my question... what is the best linux thru ur point of view?

Yes, it's called partitioning your hard drive and you could do it easily. I say either fedora redhat or mandrake. They're good OS.

sry bout the double post... i 4got 2 ask, will linux work on these new computers? and by linux i mean freebsd (unix), knoppix, debian, mandrake, redhat...

Back
Top Bottom