1 printer, 2 computers,

wheeler

Solid State Member
i have 1 printer and 2 computers and i would like to hook them up so i can use the printer on both. i have the comps hooked up to the internet using a d-link router but its not the one for printers so i was wondering if you guys would be able to help me out here as i know little to nothing about networking.

You can actually share the printer. Go to your list of printers (or your icons). (on whichever computer you have theprinter hooked to)

Right click
Click "Sharing" or "Properties, then "Sharing"
select "Share this printer" and type in a name.

on the other computer you want to use it on,
go to "Add a printer" on your printer prefs..

select "Network printer".. and find it on the network you're connected to.. it'll be on the name of the computer you have to hooked to.. yea.. select it and follow the rest of the steps (they're self explanatory) and you should be able to use the printer on both computers.. (I'm sharing my DELL printer on 4 computers. ^_^

Caution on sharing the printer though.

If PC #1 is the printer PC, and PC #2 tries to print, it may use a LOT of PC #1s resources to do this. Make sure you are not in the middle of a game on PC #1 when PC #2 tries to print.

you have to have the network setup before you can share the printer though, make sure you have run the network setup wizard on both computers

Methost said:
Caution on sharing the printer though.

If PC #1 is the printer PC, and PC #2 tries to print, it may use a LOT of PC #1s resources to do this. Make sure you are not in the middle of a game on PC #1 when PC #2 tries to print.

Yea.. and PC 1 would have to be on for PC 2 to print thru PC 1..

i went to add the printer and it said that it needed the correct driver and when i go to use the CD for the driver it can not find it either. what can i do to hook up my printer

ok i figured out the driver problem, now when i get updates and patches i want to install them on say PC1 (one that the printer is connected to) right?

Back
Top Bottom