The fastest laptop is....a Dell?!

EliteGamer said:
I can build a desktop computer about as good as that for about.... $600.

yes, well you would, laptop parts are much much more expensive as they have to be smaller, so an identical desktop would by nature cost a lot more.
Also that link was to the dell site, they would big it up as they're trying to sell it. Personally I think theoretically, its great, but knowing dell they've somehow worked out to make a great spec crap. If you clcik customise you can add stuff, like get 2GB RAM, thats pretty impressive

Hey guys and gals... I don't have a laptop but I've read from a news site that you could develop RSI (repetitive strain injury) if you hunch over the laptop day in and day out over a long period of time. The same article stated that men are more susceptible to harm than women, the reason being that women have small stature.

RSI could be developed using a PC too if you used a bad sitting position, like anything

Quoted from Laptop Ergonomics
(http://www.healthycomputing.com/mobile/laptop/)

Notebook computers were originally designed as a temporary solution - a short-term replacement for the traveler's desktop computer. But as they improved, laptops became many people's primary (and sometimes only) computer. Companies have been finding ways to make them smaller and more portable ever since, and laptops are now a staple of business and educational computing. Yet not much attention has been paid to the ergonomics of mobile computing, and most products are designed with portability - not user safety - in mind.

As wonderful as they are, notebooks have some inherent design features that make them potential ergonomic dangers. Normally, with a desktop computer, you'd position the top of your monitor around eye level, and place your keyboard at about the same level as your elbows. With laptops, however, the keyboard and the monitor are attached, so you can't adjust their positions independently - and they're very close together. The result is that you have to compromise on comfort. Placing the laptop low (in your lap or on a desk) for comfortable arm position means that you have to tilt your neck forward to view the screen; raising the screen to an acceptable level means that your hands are now reaching too high. Many laptops also feature keys that are smaller than those found on traditional keyboards - a potential cause of hand and finger pain.

EliteGamer said:
I just looked at it, and yes you could put a down payment on a new/used car. Anyone find that strange? Plus that computer is outrageously priced. I can build a desktop computer about as good as that for about.... $600.

Notebook parts cost more, resulting in the more expensive price over desktops.

You can build a desktop for that cheap? No, I don't think so...
The 6800 Ultra (which is the 6800 Ultra Go's counterpart) costs almost $400. The Pentium M isn't compaible with any current motherboard excet with the use of a adapter that ASUS sells for their Intel motherboard line. Either way, it's almost impossible to build a computer that costs $600, while matching the performance of the XPS Inspiron.

Yeah...

My big thing is yes you can get cluts insurance, but if you drop it, you're screwed big time. And the keyboard sits over the heart of the system and God help you if you spill a drink in to this thing. I spilled my coffee in to my desktop keyboard today and was lucky to have gotten out with an intact system. But do that to a lappy and dude it's game over.
And dell's reputation as far as I'm concerned is lower than the bottom of the Marieanna trench. If you recall they got busted for advertising systems with p4 this and that and then shipping celerons. I kept up on that shinning moment in dell history. That did them in for me.
I will not fix them except for very close friends and will not reccomend one to any body.
But just to be fair if they ever get out of the Apple, Atari, Commodore64 propriatary mindset I just might maybe give them a second look.
I'm done...

Well, nowadays they have new hard drive technology that senses the laptop falling and instantly retracts the read/write head, so it won't damage the hard drive or any data on the platters. Yeah, Dell has had a bad track record for desktops. Their laptops, however are not bad...my dad's friends all reccommend a Dell laptop.

NOTE: I'm was talking about notebooks, not desktops. Dell's desktops suck.

Back
Top Bottom