Attempted to build laptop?

I was wondering how man people have actually tried to build a laptop computer and where actually successful. I tried once and a laptop computer and it died with broken parts everywhere. I'm glad it was a 4 MB RAM and 50 MHZ processor laptop that I screwed with.

Well, laptops are a lot harder to build. For starters, cases are not as common and much more expensive as you have to have the screen, keyboard and mouse built in. Also, the ports have to match the motherboard and other parts. The configuration has to be perfect, and there usually isn't any room for customization. Also, you have to make absolutely sure that it is cooled properly. With a desktop, it's cheaper and easier to build it yourself, but with a laptop, it's typically the opposite.

I built one inside a leather breifcase for a friend of mine! Had one that was damaged (case) and just removed it and installed it in his briefcase. Was asked to do a couple of more for his office pals but declined.
I had to actually make the LCD wiring harnes and then do a lot of desoldering and resoldering to get the ports to a place that they could be utillized.. on a pop up faceplate that raised up when he opened the briefcase. That was the first and last time I ever had anything to do with replacing anything but memory on a laptop.

Back
Top Bottom