Boot problem

sharpshoota

Solid State Member
Alright, ummm where to start. I turn on my computer and itll make it to the windows logo with the little loading thing scrolling under it. After that, the blue screen of death flashes really quick...too fast to see what it says, then the computer reboots. It will just keep doing this over and over unless you hit F8 to get the OS option screen or whatever it is. So i try booting up in safe mode...and it works...kinda. I can login to the "Administrator" account. but not my main account, which has all my freaking files and important things on it. If i try to logon to my main user name it will start loading up for a second, then the computer will flash a blue screen of death really fast like before, and restart. I can get on the administrator account just fine though. My whole life is on my user name, and i have none of it on a cd or anything, so formatting is not an option. Anybody have any suggestions here? Im not computer illiterate or anything but im by no means a pro at this stuff either. any help would be greatly appreciated.

System Specs
Intel P4 2.4ghz
Asus P4PE deluxe mother board
Chaintech GeForce 4 Ti4200
512 mb Kingston DDR 333 PC2700 ram
Western Digital Caviar SE 80GB 7200 RPM hard drive

This assumes you have XP and a full XP cd.
How to do a system repair.--Boot from the xp cd and go past the recovery console to the install menu. Select repair the existing installation. You won't lose any data except the xp updates. Unless you have a slipstream sp1 cd you will have to d/l sp1 and all subsequent updates. You MUST have at least SP1 installed and the updates for security reasons. Be sure the firewall and A/V is active before going online as you will be susceptible to sasser and msblaster. If you don't want SP2 go to autopatcher.com and d/l SP1 and subsequent updates.

Sorry i failed to mention i have XP....and i have an XP professional cd...but there is no repair install on it. Is a repair install the only way to fix the problem? if so i guess i can Mooch a cd off one of my friends.

The repair is a function of the xp cd that is on all of them Just follow the instructions above.

wow, i feel like an idiot....i found the repair install this time. In my defense the last time i tried it....i couldnt get to it. It asked me to choose which partition i wanted to load windows on or something...like it didnt recognize windows on my computer. This time it had C:Windows/Xp Professional to choose from. I honestly dont know what happened. Oh well. All is well that ends well. Thanks for the help.

Back
Top Bottom