Upgrading a Windows 98 pc

Venom117

Beta member
I have a compaq presario windows 98 and im planning to upgrade it in every possible way i can (including case and etc.). im planning on buying a intel pentium 4 but im not sure it would be compitable with the current motherboard i have. the computer itself is in pretty good condition except i fried the power supply. i would also appreciate any advice on what upgrades to buy. the pc would mostly be used for gaming,internet, and homework.

first of all, if its a windows 98 compaq ,my experience is that they have no AGP slot if you do, your lucky otherwise if your gonna buy all new parts you should just replace the mobo and get rid of compaq? i mean you said your ognna upgrade just make a new one compaq are pains in the ass from my experience

Yeah, it sounds like it would be easier for you to start from scratch. Especially since you're getting a new case anyway. Your Compaq motherboard will probably not fit in any standard case. Motherboard fittings are typically proprietary.

This can't be done

You can't just upgrade a cpu.It's time for a mbd/cpu/pws combo.Don't buy them seperatly.
Get what you can for this and start over.
:)

Advice-

Buy a new PSU...

Clean the innards of your computer...

Check all contacts...

Upgrade your memory to the max that the motherboard accepts...

Do a clean install of xp pro sp2...

and enjoy it...

r53s said:
Advice-

Buy a new PSU...

Clean the innards of your computer...

Check all contacts...

Upgrade your memory to the max that the motherboard accepts...

Do a clean install of xp pro sp2...

and enjoy it...
Enjoy what a headache.read this post again.Thats silly advice.
planning on buying a intel pentium 4 but im not sure it would be compitable with the current motherboard i have. the computer itself is in pretty good condition except i fried the power supply.
It won't !

Back
Top Bottom