Second hard drive installed.

Well it is grat that I can use my hard drive as an external one by using a hard drive case. What also interests me is the dual boot setup, and how does raid work I know there is an option to set it up when windows is being installed. I also noticed that my computer takes longer to boot now that I have a second hard drive. I would have asked these questions sooner however I ran into a series of unfortunate events initiating the answers to these questions on my own/

I'd take out the hard drive and keep it as a spare, possibly back up windows and some important files to it. That's what I did with my old 2GB hard drives

I have a second hard drive on several of my windows 98 computers, I beneifit from it because the master drive isn't that big to begin w/ (Maybe 4 GB at most on a few). One is having hardware trouble so it doesn't want to accept a second hard drive.

I have a 120 GB Hardrive. I have it portioned into one 20 GB and one 100 GB. I use the 20 GB for windows stuff and the 100 GB for everything esle.

Shutle said:
Well it is grat that I can use my hard drive as an external one by using a hard drive case. What also interests me is the dual boot setup, and how does raid work I know there is an option to set it up when windows is being installed. I also noticed that my computer takes longer to boot now that I have a second hard drive. I would have asked these questions sooner however I ran into a series of unfortunate events initiating the answers to these questions on my own/
3 topics 1 posting,try seperating them into 3 different ones.
2 hd's questions
how to dual boot
useing raid
Warning : I used the hard drive removeable internal and it's difficult to know if it's overheating and the fans are running.I just used it for my 3 hd's then went back to 2 ide internals.A $20 investment for adding a new hard drive,and moveing the old ones.
You should not notice any slower startup
What boot sequence are you useing ? A C etc.

My computer orriginaly had 20Gigs and Ive had it for around four years. I dont understand how a computer can have 2 or 4Gig hard drives...Is that even enough to run windows? Also a friend suggested I increase my virtual memory so I bought more sdram for my computer - the vmemory didn't increase. I upgraded it by 512mb a total of 640. From 128 to 640 is a big difference. I need to know if I can configure my pc to adjust to the increase.

Shutle said:
My computer orriginaly had 20Gigs and Ive had it for around four years. I dont understand how a computer can have 2 or 4Gig hard drives...Is that even enough to run windows? Also a friend suggested I increase my virtual memory so I bought more sdram for my computer - the vmemory didn't increase. I upgraded it by 512mb a total of 640. From 128 to 640 is a big difference. I need to know if I can configure my pc to adjust to the increase.
It's good to have more "ram Memory" but thats not virtual memory.
You'll find the option in System Propertys/performance/settings.
==========
Virtual memory
A pageing file is an area on the hard disk that Windows uses as
if it where ram.
==========
My 20 and 40 gig hd is set to 1500 mb
I set Memory useage to System cache.
Is your dma set to on ?
Memory and # of drives usually isn't the reason for slow startup.
How slow is it ? My 2 take about 1 min.

To change the virtual memory, right click on My Computer, click Properties, click the advanced tab, click settings in the box labelled 'Performance', click the advanced tab, click change in the box labelled 'Virtual Memory', click custom size and then set the maximum to 1.5x your memory.

I will likely keep it in my computer, the only problem is that my second hard drive is only supported by the wires it is connected to. Its not protected either. I want a case to make it external but if theres no problem with the setup I have now I'm ok with it.

Back
Top Bottom