And the end of Intel's Pentium D is unveiled...

I also agree. If I wanted to I could wait a few more months and get top of the line shit. A 600 dollar video card 1,000 CPU, 200 dollar mobo, with all the lil adds on and shit. but then again why do that when a 200 dollar video card, a 200 CPU, and a 100 dollar mobo will do the same job just as good?

Well the way technology goes pretty much a new thing comes out so often you would have to be made of money to keep up with it.!! LOL

Setishock said:
AMD cpu chips do not have any built in thermal protection system.

Well, AMD's usually run pretty cool anyways. Becides, like Giancarlo said, motherboard these days have these kind of warning features.

Just got my weekly/monthly whatever it is letter from PC Pro, they have a few interesting things in it on this topic:

AMD has made life easier for these companies by making the X2 design as compatible as possible with single core versions. AMD says that the X2 is in the same 939-pin configuration as the single-core AMD Athlon 64 processors. The only difference is that the dual core version needs a BIOS upgrade. AMD assures customers that all software designed for single core x86 processors will run without modification on the dual core version.

Although they should be taken with a pinch of salt, AMD says its benchmarks show that existing multimedia applications show an average of a 34 per cent increase compared to similar single-core AMD Athlon 64 processors, while business application benchmarks show a 22 percent average rise.

AMD is already promising to introduce a dual-core version of the AMD Athlon 64 FX aimed at the gaming market when multi-threaded software games become available.

Each 64-bit core has a total of 128Kb of Level 1 divided into 64K of data and instruction caches respectively and 1Mb of Level 2 cache linked to a system request queue which manages each CPUs requests for memory and I/O. The two cores are linked together and to the system memory using AMD's tried and trusted direct connect architecture.

The AMD Athlon 64 X2 dual-core processors are available at a range of clock speeds. The 4800+, 4600+, 4400+ and 4200+ are priced based on performance at $1001, $803, $581 and $537, respectively, in 1,000-unit quantities.

They are cheaper than I thought they were going to be. I thought the prices were giong to start at the same price as an fx55! but oh well. (note prices are in 1000 unit quantities, so you wont be able to go onto newegg and get a 4800+ for $1001)

Whether performance etc would increase I dont know - but the technology itself is prety fricken awesome!! That in itself makes me think they are worthwhile.

Back
Top Bottom