Fans?

Nik00117

Fully Optimized
I want to overclock my PC. When I get it all upgraded. And I wanted to know on how to decide which fans to buy.

To me, it doesn't really matter too much. As long as they are strategically placed and you have an abundance of them. I use mainly 80mm fans, but I have like 10 different fans in there. Look for high CFMs. Get exhaust blowers too. It keeps my vital components at cool to moderate temperatures.

It really kind of depends on what case you have and how big of a PSU you have. Most full atx cases will allow 4 to 5 fans without much trouble. The gamers cases will ad a few more.
The thing to keep in mind is the direction of flow and what maybe blocking air flow.
To get around the various issues they have made some really neat fans, but the biggest help is to go with round cables or to at the least wrap the flat cables so as to allow a better air flow.
There are HDD fans that fit between HDDs to cool them and then fans that fit in 3.5 floppy spaces or 5.25 drive spaces to blow air in. then there are mounting brackets that can be mounted just about anywhere and have a fan mounted there. Also PCI fans that fit in PCI sockets so as to have direct cooling to vid cards and other add-ons. Just plan well and good luck.

Amazing... do you have to have a case like that bolted down? That thing oughta fly off the desk like a jet. LOL

Hehe, that would be kinda kewl actually.... a floating PC... Hmm..... and it'd keep it cool too, but act as a massive exaust....:D

Ok let's get dangerous...

In the case, if you're serious about cooling, you're going to have to make some modfications.
1> Cut out the grills where the fans mount to get a clean hole. A hole saw or just a pair of tin snips will do. Lay the case on it's side motherboard up and stuff the case with a beach towel. Cut slow and carefully. A loose bit of tin on the motherboard you fail to see when you power up and the game's over.
Do this on the back as well as the front. Don't forget the finger guards(add on grills).
2> Led fans are your choice but I use them so I don't have to listen for them. The leds on a fan get power from the same source as the blower part. Lights out and you can bet the fan's dead too.
High cfm or high speed equals noise, noise, noise. Shop carefully for fans. I have used Extreme Gamer and Mad Dog brands along with Antec. I no longer use Antec due to the propritary led thing they have going on but the fans are top drawer. Avg cost per fan>> $8.00USD
3> A fan controller is a must. Some come with temp probes and for the money do a good job. Cooler Master Aerogate II is one I use. Easy to install ands very informative. $39.00USD
4> Do this first before you go out and buy a bunch of junk you wind up not needing. Or cutting holes you can't fix. 120mm and 90mm and 92mm are costly. Why have to spend any more than you absolutly need to?

dunerider5 said:
Where the hell do you stick all those fans?

ON my case, I have two rear exhaust fans, a top fan, one side panel fan, two fans from front of case, an exhaust blower, fan from the power supply, and the rest are on my chipsets/CPU. You can add additional fans for your hard drive but with my current setup, my two front fans blow right underneath the hard drive. I customized the front ones. THere are vents in the front of my case so I just flushed the two 80mm fans and velcro then down where the vents are.

Back
Top Bottom