Second hard drive installed.

Shutle

Baseband Member
Hi, I installed a 80Gig hard drive on my pc(Windows XP). I kept my second 20Gig hard drive and its now formated and set on slave. -I would like to know what I can do with it. I think it can be used for extra memory but do i need to install windows on it first? Any suggestions about interesting things I can do with my hard drive are more than welcome.

You could use it for extra space. Also that is not memory. Memory would be RAM. You would have to install windows on it to use it for extra space. You could also try selling it. I'm sure you could get about $20.00 for the 20 GB one.

Than I suppose its storage space...either way I was hoping to use it separate from my current hard drive. Is it possible to install an operating system such as Windows or Linux and boot from either drive when I turn on my computer? One hard drive being independent from the other.

yes you can use a dual boot set up. But you do not have to install windows to use the drive as backup....all you have to do is format the drive and you can put whatever you want in there for storage or even programs.

Welcome to the forum!

On my system, I have my RAID setup for windows then my external HD for backup. That way I can keep my main system clean. Plus, I don't have a ton of space(about 74G with the RAID)

WHy not get a case and make an external drive? THe nice thing about them is that you could carry them to someone's house if you have something you want them to try or see. Videos, software, music, etc...

I know a program that benefits from a second hard drive

in terms of virtual memory use...

It is called Photoshop...

Your best bet if you want to increase speed due to virtual mem is to just get rid of it all together. The harddrive is still the slowest component in the computer. Few of us need this kind of speed, but say 2G of system RAM and no vmem would probably REALLY help a computer out. I know a few years back I was running my old system without any paging file and it was much faster. Unfortunetly there are some games that require over a gig of memory total :eek:

Shutle said:
Hi, I installed a 80Gig hard drive on my pc(Windows XP). I kept my second 20Gig hard drive and its now formated and set on slave. -I would like to know what I can do with it. I think it can be used for extra memory but do i need to install windows on it first? Any suggestions about interesting things I can do with my hard drive are more than welcome.
Stop while your ahead,you got it right now.
Your Primary Master is C and is for Windows and Program installations.
Secondary is D and a great way to backup things like Favorits or Fonts
or pics or movies or zips etc.
cool. :D

Heres how

Stop while your ahead,you got it right now.
Your Primary Master is C and is for Windows and Program installations.
Secondary is D and a great way to backup things like Favorits or Fonts
or pics or movies or zips etc.
cool.

Back
Top Bottom