harddrive question

northwings

Baseband Member
Okay I only have a 40 gig in my computer and I want to put a 300 gig in there, I want to keep my 40 gig in there, and I know I have room, and I have another pair of cables, I'm just confused, I want to use the 300 gig for all other stuff I want to install, but will it work in my regular windows, and when I install a program I can install int to the (in my case) f drive ? also can I copy all my larger files into my f: drive? Every tutorial I find is how to install windows on the F: drive, I don't want to do that I just want it in the windows I have now, as another storage space. Thanks for the help

you should just be able to keep the 40 gigs you have now, and just add on the hd. windows should recognize the hd and just add it on sepately... but there is a need to install windows and all that. to use it as another drive u need windows on it. at least as far as i kno. so if anyone else thinks otherwise, speak up. yeha.

No you don't need windows on it. You simply install it as a slave on IDE 0 or a master on IDE 1. Set the jumpers on the drive accordingly. When you boot the bios should see it and windows should see it. Open my computer and format it and you are good to go.

As to copying the other files to it if they are executable programs you will have to reinstall them to that drive as windows won't know where to look for them if you simply move the files/folders.

If you just want it for storage you don't need windows on the 300gig HDD. you will be able to transfer all your files over to it (exept wondows). All you have to do is make sure the pins are in the slave spot. your manuel will show you where to put it.

Woops… I misread… I though he meant as main hd… my bad. Yeah, u don't need windows on it for a secondary.. Just add it on and windows should recognize it. Lol…

But if I wanted to make my 300 gig the master, I'd set the jumper, will everything I have on my desktop and programs I have still work ? or will it get confused because it'll look for the items on the c: and that would be my slave drive, and if I have a 300 gig slave drive, will my computer perform better, becuase right now it's very slow because I only have 2 gigs of space left. Thanks alot.

as long as you back everything up, im sure it'll work. yes, ur comp should perform better. of course, have you defraged ur 40 g anytime lately?

Of course, every other night, but will it perform good even if the 40 gig is still my master drive ? oh and one other strange questions, my fan is blowing hot air, in fear of it over heating I took off the cassing and put a plexiglass case with little holes in it custom made for me in school Lol, and I put a fan near it, but I would like to ride myself of this burden what are ways I can adjust the temperature heat of my machine, and the productivity of it ?

hello Northwings!
Welcome to the forum!
Your new 300 gig Hdd should have come with a utillity disk or you can get one from the manufacturer's website This disk will allow you to do all kinds of things to help you set up.
In his above posting, per, was giving the scoop.
You can set it up any any way that you like. But before you can it must be formated.
But with what you have posted..i would like to make a suggestion....partition that disk into smaller sizes. I suggest nothing over 60gigs and for better performance 30 or 40 gigs for each partition. This will allow your new drive to not work so hard and will allow for faster retrieving of information and quicker service such as defragging and compressing

Back
Top Bottom